Ten worst states for deer/auto collisions.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGary, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Jun 3, 2004
    east of the West and west of the East
    Aw, no Iowa? I guess I've never hit one, but come close four or five times...but then I guess much of Iowa is not really deer-suited, but where I come from 'tis.
  2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

Nov 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
  3. Aarow macrumors 6502a

Jun 14, 2005
    I don't know if I should be rooting for Minnesota or not. Is this someting to be proud of?
  4. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

Aug 7, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Really people...this should come standard on everyone's cars to protect animals from getting hit! Buy one if you live where there is a lot of deer and animals on the road.

Also if you are on a road late at night and deer are around just hold down your horn for a little while.....it scares all animals and you will not have to worry about them running out in front of you!!
  5. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

Aug 7, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Damn it, that article says the special car whistle doesn't work on deer...WTF??? :confused:

Oh well, keep the high beams on and HOLD down your horn when traveling through deer populated areas. I do that all the time to protect cute little raccoons and possums!!! :)
  6. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    For those too lazy to seek it out:
    They're not that 'little' and they're definitely not that 'cute.' A few years ago three raccoons decided to knock over our trash can and sift through everything. They were HUGE!!! And when I went outside w/ a broom to attempt to shoo them away, they just blinked at me and continued w/ their business. Seriously, they were ginormous! I ran back into the house calling for my daddy. :p And I hate drivers who don't turn off their high beams when it is evident (from headlights) that another car is coming around the bend or approaching. ARGH!
  7. kgarner macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2004
    Never been in a deer/auto collision. But I was involved in a cow/auto collision (I wasn't driving, I was like 4 or 5) . Where's the top ten list for that?
  8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    my brother hit a deer when he was going out east on long island...nearly totaled his car
  9. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    We're number 1. Woohoo!

I know someone who hit one with a Harley...

I see a fresh kill once or twice a week.
  10. Prelude2Tragedy macrumors regular

Apr 9, 2005
    New Jersey
    Im surprised Jersey isnt on the list. I guess since the state is small, but i see a dead deer on the side of the road almost every other week. Not to mention live deer on the side of the roads every night. I remember one story a few years ago of a deer being hit on the highway and lauched the deer feet first through this on coming cars windshield.
  11. nbs2 macrumors 68030

Mar 31, 2004
    A geographical oddity
    total != worst

Only problem with this is that it doesn't consider the per mile or per car rate, just the total. How else can you explain VA and PA making the list and MD not. I would like to the the states where a driver is more likely to hit a deer. I can quickly think of two instances in the last month where I almost hit a deer on a road - and I don't know how many times I may not ahve seen them just outside the light projection.

And Mongo - congrats to your son on his Eagle. It really is amazing how few people get it. I'm sure both of you must be relieved it's all over (or is he going to do the palm thing...most Eagles I know called it quits).
  12. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I've seen the deer in your area. They are really kinda nuts with the numbers. You need more hunting. Even bow hunting would make a big improvement.
  13. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    How'd I get here? How can I leave?
    Up the number of tags for a season and those animal rights folks will be right out to protest.
    In their Bambi costumes and everything.
    They truly are passionately odd people.
  14. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    I think my state, or town :) should be on the list.

A bunch of my neighbors have hit deer.

One time this guy stopped because deer were crossing the road, and all of a sudden 3 deer came out of the woods and ran into his brand new mercedes.
  15. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

Dec 1, 2003
    Scranton, PA
    Yay. We're #1...There's seriosuly so many deer on the road, especially in my area (Poconos).
  16. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    I've hit one in GA, and had unnumbered near misses
    My daughter hit one

I narrowly missed one last night

Fresh kills on the road every week

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]
  17. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
    This is stupid. Pennsylvania is massive and has many deer. Of course it's number one.

Such a championship should be fought over average number of deer hit per resident. Factor in moose and Maine would be whooping on everybody ...
  18. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I think the solution is obvious: wolf breeding. More wolves = fewer deer. PETA can't protest that.
  19. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

Aug 12, 2005
    I didn't even look, I knew we'd be on there. :)
  20. runninmac macrumors 65816

Jan 20, 2005
    Rockford MI
    Yep were 2nd! Woot! But seriously Ive been driving for 4 months now and 3 seperate nights have almost hit dear and hunting season is starting soon:(. Luckly I have missed them all 3 times.
  21. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    I think if they factored in per capita data, or something else to level the playing field, Maryland would by high on the list. There are roads I simply will not use in the early morning hours during peak deer season, and I still come across several carcasses every week.

And what is up with these idiots who see a deer on the highway, then stop and cut the head off? "Nice buck you got on the wall there, Stan. But why does the side of it's head have a nasty case of road rash?":rolleyes:
  22. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    it doesn't surprise me that IL is on there, but i didn't expect it to be #3 :cool:
  23. Josh macrumors 68000

Mar 4, 2004
    State College, PA
    hehe yeah - I would have definitely been surprised if Michigan wasn't among the top 5.
  24. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2002
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
    Too many deer is a bad thing. I almost hit one on my bike at 20mph this summer. And I'm talking 20 lbs o' aluminium, not 500 o' iron.

Better to have them hunted more and shot dead for food than to have them hitting cars, eating crops and starving to death because of the overpopulation. In my part of PA, the opening day of hunting season is an official school holiday in some districts (!) but the number of hunters continues to dwindle. I think they need to make it a state holiday and force businesses to close to encourage more hunting. Tax holiday on rifle sales, licenses, etc. (I'm not a hunter, either)

I've heard the Amish around here are just monsters with the way they hunt them: catch a whole herd crossing a field, line up a dozen riflemen and just unload until nothing's left standing. Then they take half a dozen of the kills and leave the rest to rot.