Ten-year-old Apple Newton beats latest Windows UMPC

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jul 27, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

2. mvc
    macrumors 6502a

mvc

Rematch!

Come back in 12 months when the UMPC has decent battery life and has shrunk even more. The Newton will look pretty old by then.

If only Apple had continued developing this market segment.

Right product, wrong time...

3. macrumors 601

Yvan256

All I need is my Nintendo DS Lite with that Opera browser cart. Can't wait for the north american release though...

4. macrumors Core

an apple ultra portable or
    an apple ultra PDA

i'll take either. please??

yeah i have a 12" powerbook... but i want something small to go with me whever i go, rather than a pad of paper.

5. macrumors 6502a

If this isn't a joke, then they must be on some serious drugs, hard and heavy.

6. macrumors G4

Mord

personally i'd still take the newton.

7. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I cannot believe it won, and that Apple dropped it. A 162Mhz processor also wasn't bad for 1997...

It looks pretty damn good for 1997 tech, hopefully Apple will release another.

8. macrumors 68020

atszyman

Just because they aren't on sale now does not mean that the Newton is completely dead. Apple has been running OS X on Intel from the beginning without everyone knowing, how do we know that somewhere within the bowels of #1 Infinite Loop there's not a team of Engineers and programmers resurrecting and refining the Newton to take on the Origami PCs head on?

Of course I know I'm wrong but it would be a nice thought....

9. macrumors G3

I thought CNet was unapologetically biased against Apple?

10. macrumors 603

Rocketman

Since the 2G video iPod will have broadband wireless, touchscreen, reasonbable processor, OS virtualizationS lite, and a "full computer experience", it will be trivial for it to:

Be a mac
    Be an iPod
    Be a VoiP/cell v/d phone
    Be a portable Tivo
    Be a Newton on steroids
    Be a UMPC on steroids
    Be a remote server window
    Be a CPU which is not a Be

Rocketman

11. mvc
    macrumors 6502a

mvc

It's called linkbaiting. And it's a very cynical form of journalism.

CNet runs a constant line of Apple related articles, some 'pro' but most mainly 'con' to produce headlines that aggregating sites like digg and slashdot will slavishly link to and drive traffic for CNet's advertisers.

'Con' articles usually get the best traffic as they know Mac zealots can't resist taking the flamebait and PC zealots love to see the Mac go down, so it's a win-win. Dvorak uses the same business model.

Ask yourself why this CNet article had so many pages - it's simply to drive more page views to advertising.

12. macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

Oh they are doing it. I mean at infinite loop they do everything you wouldn't dream off.... put G5s into powerbooks... Intel CPUs into Macs.... run windows on a mac..... make two button mouses..... so the question isn't whether they are doing but if it will ever hit the light of day, they call it the infinite loop for a reason, ideas just keep on going around and around.

13. macrumors 68000

hulugu

Sometimes they get confused and say something nice, but this will be quickly rectified with an article about how iPods can make puppies explode, or some other nonsense.

I feel used.

14. mvc
    macrumors 6502a

mvc

It's the new SPAM! ;-)
    Well, actually, its not new, its just the online version of Tabloid journalism.

15. macrumors regular

[] You own a Newton

16. macrumors 68000

Xander562

arent these the same people that said the iPod was inferior to some other music player? :rolleyes:

17. macrumors G3

Wow, that's tricky!

I hold CNet in even lower esteem than I did before, now.

18. macrumors newbie

Not linkbaiting! There are no ads on the article!

Linkbating is an interesting theory, and no doubt it does happen. But this CNET article doesn't have any adverts on it! This slightly undermines your accusations. I'm all for exposing the people who linkbait, but CNET aren't. Look again if you're unsure. Where are the ads? I see a banner telling you about other parts of the CNET site, but I don't see any ads...

19. mvc
    macrumors 6502a

mvc

The exception proves the rule, usually there will be ads on multipage articles like this. This is a very typical pricatice. Just surf a little with your eyes wider open ;-)

20. macrumors G3

Sesshi

I'd agree. Windows Tablet Edition is a waste of time and although it incorporates some advanced features it's usability is in the crapper compared to Newton. I had such high hopes for my Toshiba but in the end it proved to be more of a hindrance than an advantage. I see some people using Tablet PC's at meetings and I can only salute their perseverance and geekosity. A pen and paper works a whole lot better than Tablet PC.

21. macrumors 68000

SPUY767

That's C|Net.com, this is C|Net.co.uk, may as well be a different organization. The British journalists usually aren't as dim-witted as their yank brethren, and their opinions tent to be a little more down to earth. For a good reference point, compare Macworld.co.uk to Macworld.com articles.

22. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This was pretty entertaining, although I did mostly just skim it. I do have to say though that if the UMPC transcriber is like the one in WM5, I am not so overly impressed...I don't do handwriting recognition much at all on my Axim x51v because it just isn't reliable. Doesn't prevent me from enjoying it and using it for the purpose I bought it for (on the go web access via WiFi). But yeah, I don't like the handwriting rec that much. :(

23. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I think someone has too much time at Cnet..

24. Mal
    macrumors 603

Mal

It's comparisons like this that may signal Apple that it's time to release their long-hidden Newton 2 project. Like has been mentioned, it's a fairly sure bet that they had at least a small team keeping the project active at least in conceptual design. This does seem to be the right time to do it, just as all these Windows-based UMPC's are hitting the market, Apple comes and deals them the knockout blow right from the start.

All they have to do is throw in the best technologies (not necessarily the most), give it a full-color Newton OS, updated only for speed and visuals, and sell it at the same price or $100 less than the Q1 (which, as mentioned, is hideously overpriced). Then we'll see the true knock-out punch.

jW

25. macrumors 6502

mozmac

After reading the article, it made me want to throw down some money to get a Newton. I just can't find a practical place for it in my life other than being a toy. If I had a 14-year-old son, I'd buy one, play with it for a bit, and then give it to him. He would think it was so cool to have something like that just for him. I know I loved to play with any little gadget I could get my hands on, especially if we were on a long road trip. I'd plug all sorts of useless information into the calendar or something. "7:15pm: Stop at gas station." "10:30pm: Arrive at Grandma's." "7:30am: Wake up and watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and then Captain N while eating Lucky Charms."

Talk to me in 15 years when I have that 14-year-old son and ask him if I've bought a Newton for him yet.