tennis

Discussion in 'Community' started by neilrobinson, Jan 1, 2005.

1. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

going to the tennis (hopman cup in au - have a box :D ) can anybody really quickly (in the next ten minutes) explain what the idea is and how the scoring works etc.

thanks,

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Here's a start.

One important concept is the 'break' of service.
    i.e. winning the game against the server (because serving gives you an advantage)

Game, set and match...
    Win a certain number of games to win a set, win a certain number of sets to win a match...

3. neilrobinson thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks,

been looking for something like that...

explains enuf so i dont look like an idiot - not really into sport - new a could rely on macrumors members! :cool:

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Only played when I was a kid but love watching it on telly esp. the Grand Slams.

5. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

The person who is serving always has their score listed first.

On service, the ball must land in the small box diagonally across from the server. You switch sides after every point. If your serve goes out, or you step on the baseline on your serve, that's a fault and you get one more try. If you screw it up twice in a row, the opponent gets a point.

First point: 15
    Second point: 30
    Third point: 40
    Fourth point: game

You must win by two, so if the game is 40-all, it's called "deuce". The next player to win a point earns what's called the "advantage" or "ad". "Ad out" means the non-server has advantage, "Ad in" means the server has advantage. If the player with advantage wins the next point, he wins the game. If the player without advantage wins the next point, you start back at deuce.

Service switches players after each game. The players switch ends of the court after the first, third, fifth, seventh, ninth, and eleventh games of the set. They only switch ends at the end of a set if the number of games in the set is odd.

You must win six games to win a set, and you must win by two games. However, if it's tied at six, the next game is a tiebreaker, where one player serves the first point, then the next server serves two, then the first player serves two. The score is simply kept in number of points, i.e. "5-2". the margin of victory must be two points, and if the tiebreaker is tied at six, play continues until somebody leads by two. The set will be scored 7-6 in favor of the tiebreaker winner.

In most women's matches, the winner of two sets wins the match. In most men's matches, the winner of three sets wins the match.

6. neilrobinson thread starter macrumors 6502

cool, thanks guys! off now, will give a post when i get back on how it was, free drinks and food so maybe not that much tennis watching.

thanks again,