Tenth Dimension Explained

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jive, Sep 14, 2006.

1. jive macrumors 6502a

2. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    So, time travel, the tesseract, dimensional jumping, and alternate universes all rolled into one handy explaination. Cool.

However, some math-types are proposing that quantum strings will require 11 dimensional math to understand, so on this model, where will they go?

3. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

4. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

nor me...perhaps it only exists in the 10th dimension...

5. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

work's for me. but now i have a headache...........

6. tweakers_suck macrumors regular

I watched the entire description of the 10 dimensions, then my brain folded.

7. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Surprisingly, not that hard to understand.

Compared to some of the other books I have read

8. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Damn it stopped at 6. I wanna see the rest... :(

EDIT
    Just watched the rest. That's mind boggling. Is there any validity to that? Science people?

9. After G macrumors 68000

After G

It mentioned that the 11th dimension is time. Or did the 11 dimension math not include time?

Also, 0-10 is 11 numbers. 11 numbers for 11 dimensions :)

Ahh, my head is starting to hurt. :D

10. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

11. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

wow...never thought of that like that...but don't forget it's just a theory!!!:D :D it wasn't THAT hard to understand....and makes some strong arguments...

12. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

As a physicist, I got to the eighth dimension before I started to feel like this was too much BS. String theory (if you believe in it) does seem to be suggesting that there are eleven spatial dimensions. That is to say, we perceive that there are three spatial dimensions and one time dimension. The latest variants of string theory assert that there are ten spatial dimensions and one time dimension (however, this number is somewhat in flux, as it has gone from 6s+1t to 25s+1t). While there is room to argue that one or more of the additional dimensions would contain probabilistic variations on our universe, string theory certainly does not assert such a thing.

Now, there is an additional issue that I feel compelled to bring up. String theory has started to come under some criticism lately. It has had a twenty+ year run of being a theory that has no experiment evidence to back it up. Even the phenomenologists who have tried to come up with experiments that might hint at truth in string theory (i.e. micro-gravity experiments) have not had results that offer any confirmation of the theory. Further, at this point, we cannot even conceive of experiments that would possibly offer true evidence that string theory is a valid theory. These facts have lead a growing number of physicists, myself included, to argue that string theory has had to much of the spotlight, in terms of funding, and other alternative theories deserve more attention.

There are currently some very interesting theories that are alternatives to string theory that do not assert anything other than a 3s+1t universe, and they are starting to make predictions that should be measurable by experiments that will be coming online within the next couple of years. These results could, potentially, blow string theory and higher dimensions out of the water, so to speak...

13. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Thanks Snowy River... What about Itzhak Bentov and his stuff? it's really interesting.

14. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Haven't had a chance to watch that interview yet. It might be pointed out, though, that that interview is over 15 years old...

In any event, I'll let you know when I've looked at it. :)

15. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I didn't watch the whole thing it's like 2 hrs. But the first 20 mins I thought were intersting. It's more about evolution.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Incredible. Now I just gotta learn how to fold these dimensions and I'm set.

no really that was great. now I'm off to bed!

17. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Unbelieveable... I watched the whole thing twice. Makes so much more sense when you watch it again. Crazy...

18. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

But Zero isnt a dimension, it just explains the concept of the point.