terminal: access a folder as root without assigned permission

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by darakok, Dec 3, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Dear mac users,

My mac is running latest version of snowleopard. From the terminal windows, I want to read a foder content. even though i use the sudo command, i still get empty result.

the permission setting from the "ls -l" command, only the owner and group member can read it.

So i want to know if there is a way that root user can read this foder content without becoming member of the group.

Thanks,

dara kok

2. LPZ
    macrumors 65816

Could you temporarily give everyone permission to read the folder (and its contents) using the chmod command?

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

<quote>
    Could you temporarily give everyone permission to read the folder (and its contents) using the chmod command?</quote>

Yes, that's the first solution that came to my mind. But as a root, it suppose to be able to read any folder. that's why I'm asking if there is an alternative way.

Thanks for your comment.

4. LPZ
    macrumors 65816

Questions:

What do you mean by "be able to read the folder"? Do you mean "be able to list the contents of the folder"?

What happens if you enter

Code:
    ls -l path-to-folder-here
    ?

What is the output from

Code:
    ls -l path-to-folder-here/../
    ?

Would using sudo -u or sudo -g do what you want?

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

that's what i'm looking for

Thank LPZ, sudo -g or sudo -u

that's what i want to be able to use another user credential to list the folder content.

Thanks alot. Christmas is coming. Wish u a great holiday.