Terminal.app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by traderX, Mar 14, 2006.

1. traderX macrumors newbie

For some reason, vi is automatically launched when I open a new terminal. Any ideas?

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

What's in your .bash_profile file?

3. traderX thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have one. I never had a problem with it until today, after I tried making a shell script to move some files in a folder to another file. (not system files)

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Are you sure? I thought .bash_profile was created automatically. Note the initial ".". I'm not sure of your terminal knowledge so don't take this personally, but an ordinary "ls" or Finder won't show files prefixed with ".". You need to "ls -la". But if you're trying to create scripts you would probably know that already.

5. traderX thread starter macrumors newbie

No offense taken. I'm quite a familiar with Terminal, actually. I've never had to use a .bash_profile in Mac OS X, so I don't have one in my homedir. I tried making terminal run /usr/bin/login when I start a new terminal and the weird thing that I noticed is that it would send the user name "vi; exit" to the login script, instead of my real username. Any thoughts on this?

6. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

7. traderX thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing peculiar in env. I just need to somehow stop Terminal from sending the string 'vi; exit' upon launch.

8. traderX thread starter macrumors newbie

I trashed the plist file, resetted the terminal, and everything is fine now. Thanks.