Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aarongibson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Hiya

Last night I was trying to delete a logic audio file from my Powerbook running 10.4.5. It wasn't shifting from the trash so I opened the terminal. I am a novice but I did typed what I've done before which was: sudo rm -r [enter] but had no joy. It seemed to be a conflict witha renverb file.

So... I found this website http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/16947 and carried out the rf command but didn't put cd .Trash[return] before it.

I saw the computer strip everything off my desktop, all my documents and desktop went missing except hard drive but my iCal, Address Book and keychain data is wiped. Is there a way to reverse this?

I'm desperate as It had all my wedding prep docs and college work this year and as per I forgot to back up!

PLEASE HELP ME AND I PROMISE NOT TO TOUCH THE TERMINAL AGAIN!

Thanks

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
woops ... there's nothing you can do

rm -rf in you user directory says remove everything in my user directory by force, don't ask me if I'm sure and keep it gone forever.

Data recovery may be possible if you send it in somewhere, but that's extremely expensive and I'm not sure it's that easy on HSF+.

aarongibson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Cheers guys. I ended up conceding and reinstalling the powerbook. It feels like brand new!

Guess I won't be touching the terminal again!

Aaron

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.