Terminal Command Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aarongibson, Feb 23, 2006.

1. aarongibson macrumors newbie

Hiya

Last night I was trying to delete a logic audio file from my Powerbook running 10.4.5. It wasn't shifting from the trash so I opened the terminal. I am a novice but I did typed what I've done before which was: sudo rm -r [enter] but had no joy. It seemed to be a conflict witha renverb file.

So... I found this website http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/16947 and carried out the rf command but didn't put cd .Trash[return] before it.

I saw the computer strip everything off my desktop, all my documents and desktop went missing except hard drive but my iCal, Address Book and keychain data is wiped. Is there a way to reverse this?

I'm desperate as It had all my wedding prep docs and college work this year and as per I forgot to back up!

PLEASE HELP ME AND I PROMISE NOT TO TOUCH THE TERMINAL AGAIN!

Thanks

2. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

woops ... there's nothing you can do

rm -rf in you user directory says remove everything in my user directory by force, don't ask me if I'm sure and keep it gone forever.

Data recovery may be possible if you send it in somewhere, but that's extremely expensive and I'm not sure it's that easy on HSF+.

3. Melkor macrumors 6502

owch that's gotta hurt :(

i never realised the power of terminal until now.

4. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Sorry to hear that. I only use the terminal for maintainance. As much as I'd like to learn more about the terminal it's just too powerful for my abilities.

5. aarongibson thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers guys. I ended up conceding and reinstalling the powerbook. It feels like brand new!

Guess I won't be touching the terminal again!

Aaron