Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
I've been put in charge with a couple of students at my college to tutor them. There are a few tutorial programs on my Macbook Pro that they need to use, but I wanna make sure that thats all they're doing.

I heard that there are a few terminal commands that you can put in so that certain websites will not be accessible by the browsers. I know I can simply use my admin privileges and remove access to Safari, but I want to give them the freedom to do research on google.

All help would be greatly appreciated. Oh if it means anything, the mainpage I'm trying to block is MySpace =P.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
If they are in college....treat them like adults and just tell them not to go to that site. If they are there to learn, they will follow your advice....if they aren't, they are only hurting themselves.

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
Eraserhead said:
Set them up a new account and set up parental controls in system preferences.
This blocks all web sites, and then you (as admin) have to manually log into their account and allow certain ones in Safari.

Apple needs a way of having a blocklist on phrases, addresses or wildcards for accounts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.