Terminal failure :(

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by bamboo123, Aug 31, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

I was following this tutorial

http://www.devarticles.com/c/a/Apache/Using-Apache-and-PHP-on-Mac-OS-X/

and I got to the part where it wants me to type my password, I was unsure so I just quit my Terminal. Something popped out and ask me if I'm sure I want to quit it, I just press yes and my Terminal just quitted. But when I tried to open it again, it don't have the welcome thingy and everything I type don't seem to work :(

Has my Terminal got a bug?

Thanks a lot!! :D

2. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

There's a welcome thingy? ;) By any chance do you mean the command prompt itself? Could be something in your .bashrc that is getting hung up...

Do you have X11 on your machine? you could use that to run an alternative terminal.

B

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

what do you mean by this? "By any chance do you mean the command prompt itself?" and this? ".bashrc"? xD

yes I do, but when I use it to open terminal (( command+N right? :s )), the terminal won't work... :(

my terminal (( without using X11 )) looks like this when I open it... without the welcome thingy :(

[​IMG]

as empty and white as a white paper :( (( fail remark xD ))

4. macrumors 6502

5. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

OK. No command prompt in Terminal.app or Xterm. So it seems like the problem is in your shell (default shell is bash).

I was hoping it was something to do with the last login stuff Terminal does, but Xterm doesn't, but no such luck.

.bashrc or .bash_profile is a file that controls what the shell does on launch. If something is in there that is hanging you could never get to the command prompt. (a.k.a. welcome thingy).

You could try finding that file (hidden) in your home folder /Users/username or possibly try changing your shell if bash is somehow broken beyond simple repair.

Do you have another user account on the machine you could login to?

EDIT: Try this: From Terminal.app -> Shell -> New Command -> /bin/sh.

This should open a new shell using sh instead of bash. Does that work?

B

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't see the .bashrc or .bash_profile thingy :/ I've even tried using the Spotlight :D

no :(

nothing happens, the same old blank page came up again :(

nope :( nothing happens :(

7. LPZ
    macrumors 65816

May I suggest that the OP quit Terminal, delete com.apple.Terminal.plist from ~/Library/Preferences (~ means the user's home folder), and then try restarting Terminal.

If that doesn't help, open Activity Monitor (in Utilities) while Terminal is open, click on Terminal in the Process Name column of the Activity Monitor window, and then click on Sample Process. Copy and post the output.

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't understand what you're talking about here xD lol ^^

nothing happens... my terminal just hang and nothing happens :(

9. macrumors 603

notjustjay

Maybe this is too obvious, but did you try rebooting?

10. LPZ
    macrumors 65816

Never mind. I don't have time now to explain further. balamw seems to be on the right track; listen to him.

By the way, maybe you should gain some more experience with Mac OS X before trying to follow old articles about Apache and PHP.

11. macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

He posted the path to the file he wants you to delete.

Go to your home folder.
    Open the Library folder.
    Then open the Preferences folder.
    Now search the files here for a file called com.apple.Terminal.plist and move it to the trash (You're not deleting anything important and your Mac will re-create the file on launching Terminal).

Are you running the Activity Monitor program (it's a separate program than the terminal)? You can find it in the Utilities Folder, which is in the Applications folder.

12. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

My bad /bin/sh is just an alias to /bin/bash. Try /bin/tcsh instead. Does that work?

That was next on my list too, but it seems like such a Windows-y thing to do.

EDIT: AFAIK the Terminal plist isn't used by Xterm so I don't see why that would be hanging too. It makes sense to delete it, but the likelihood of it fixing the problem seems low given the other data.

B

13. thread starter macrumors newbie

how do i reboot? :D

14. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Open Terminal and type
    Code:
    shutdown -r now
    j/k ;)

Apple menu -> Restart.

B

15. thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm... it's not there... the com.apple.Terminal.plist :confused:

[​IMG]

but when I search for the word terminal, 3 things came out :eek: I thought it may have something to do with my terminal problems :eek:

[​IMG]

16. thread starter macrumors newbie

ok! :D thx! :D

17. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Looks like you may be looking at the system /Library/Preferences not the user ~/Library/Preferences.

B

18. thread starter macrumors newbie

huh? so am I in /Library/Preferences or in ~/Library/Preferences? :p lol :D I'm confused! xD

thank you, kainjow, for editing my post xD I'm sooo very sorry about the page stretches just now xD

19. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You wanted ~/Library/Preferences but what you posted looked like /Library/Preferences because of the Audio folder and lack of Terminal.plist.

Did you try the restart?

B

20. LPZ
    macrumors 65816

balamw, you are a candidate for sainthood. What patience!

21. thread starter macrumors newbie

hey! it worked! :D thx a lot!! ^^ and what about when i have to quit it later? (( meaning how do i quit it :D )) i remember now that the welcome thingy disappeared after I pressed command+Q after using it :D

edit: And I totally agree with LPZ :D thx! Balamw :D

22. macrumors 68000

ulbador

Hold down control and hit D (case matters) a bunch until the terminal window either closes or says [Process Completed]

23. macrumors newbie

i have the same problem but there is no such file i looked in the library folder and nothing with terminal is in the name

24. macrumors newbie

ok i found and deleted that file and my terminal still didnt work:(

25. macrumors newbie