Terminal, gmail. Possible?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by fBaran, Mar 2, 2005.

1. fBaran macrumors regular

Can you ssh (or use any Terminal commands) to access gmail? ssh [username]@gmail.com doesn't give me an error, it just sits there and does nothing. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

No you can't ssh to gmail

and the correct syntax would be

ssh -l username gmail.com

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You could use a terminal-based email program like Pine, though, I guess, using the same POP or IMAP access points you use in Mail, Outlook, etc. Can you say more about what you want to do? This was such a weird question that it piqued my curiosity.... :D

4. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

As long as Gmail can be POPed (it can right?), you can use pine.

5. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

I think that everyone has access to POP3 through gmail now... i know i do atleast...

6. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Actually, you can do both, it works the same!

BEN

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I stand corrected :eek:

8. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

If a mail server allows unencrypted POP3 connections, you can telnet to port 25 and access it that way - as long as you know POP3 command syntax. Gmail seems to only accept SSL connections to port 995, so it'd be a bit more complicated. You should be able to still access your gmail account from the command line, but you'd have to use something like stunnel to route port 25 on localhost to port 995 on pop.gmail.com, and then telnet to localhost:25.

Back in the old days (yeah, yeah, I'm old) we would occasionally use the "telnet to port 25" trick to send goofy bogus messages to other people. Back then most mailers would accept whatever ID you presented at face value; so you could send mail from bill@microsoft.com or whatever. You probably still can with many mail servers; but since most of them require authentication now it would likely be traceable back to you without too much effort.