Terminal keeps shutting itself down

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ghostee, Aug 6, 2005.

1. ghostee macrumors 6502

I was messing around with Synergy, and was looking to run a script to run it at Login. I tried a few different ways to do this, including a .login file in my home directory, and a script in the Apps directory that is ran at startup (using the login items dialog in System Preferences > User Accounts).

I also was messing around with "always open with" for shell scripts in Finder, and the terminal command window preferences (attempting to have the window opened at login closed imediately).

I must have done SOMETHING strange, because now everytime I run Terminal.app, the window appears and disappears right away.

Are there any preference files or anything I can try deleting? Any other ideas? I can SSH into the box and access the shell to kill any hidden files or whatnot.

Also, what is the best way to run Synergy at login (I want to run the command so it goes into the background and doesn't pop up a terminal window)?

2. ghostee thread starter macrumors 6502

Disregard my question, I kept googling after posting and came across the answer.

There is a hidden file in ~/Library/Preferences called com.apple.Terminal.plist. I added .old to the extension, and terminal opened fine using default settings.

I also found a GUI for Synergy that made starting the program really easy.