Terminal question?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cyberddot, Apr 1, 2006.

1. cyberddot macrumors 6502

cyberddot

I'm venturing into new territory, I've got a harmless user account and I'm practiciing navigation with Terminal. I seem to have an itch I can't scratch in my new Terminal window though:

Last login: Sat Apr 1 01:23:47 on ttyp1
    Welcome to Darwin!
    -bash: /Library/Application Support/eTrustAntivirus/scripts/envusr: No such file or directory

^Pops up with every new window. It would appear that whilst toying with CA's etrust antivirus software here at home (I vaguely remember that evening, it was quite awhile ago) and attempting to sort out the install for a Mac user at work, I left something behind. The "env" reveals this little line and I'm hoping it's one of the last remnants of the CA software, but I've no idea how to keep it out of my 'bidness' in the terminal.

CAIGLBL0000=/Library/Application Support/eTrustAntivirus

Can anyone tell me how to remove this naughty bit?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I would see if your .bash_profile (or maybe .bashrc) file contains something mentioning that. Type cat .bash_profile and see if envusr is mentioned...

3. cyberddot thread starter macrumors 6502

cyberddot

Thanks! Aye, there is where the culprit lies. Er...at least, I found it in /etc/profile, "the system-wide .profile for sh(1)", which is, of course, listed as [read only] when I attempt to vi it into submission. Actually, maybe now that I know where it is I need to dig in more than I have to find out how to remove it! :)

It isn't doing anything negative other than adding a line at the opening of the shell, but there's just something about wanting to get it out.

Here 'tis anyway:

# *---------------------------------------------- *
    # Modifications made by
    # eTrust Antivirus install
    if [ "$CAIGLBL0000" = '' ]
    then
    CAIGLBL0000="/Library/Application Support/eTrustAntivirus"
    export CAIGLBL0000
    fi

. "$CAIGLBL0000/scripts/envusr"

# End of modifications made by
    # eTrust Antivirus install

Edit: decided to bump up my thanks

4. cyberddot thread starter macrumors 6502

cyberddot

Yea! for root. I can see so clearly now! (no more CA references). Thanks again Mitthrawnuruodo. Without your nudge I may have had a harder time Googling the rest, and thanks to you I not only discovered enable root, I'm also maneuvering around in all shells with alarming (and learned) confidence! :)

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

No problem... just glad to be able to help, now matter how little... :)

Remember that you can do most of the things that require root privileges by using sudo before the command.

6. cyberddot thread starter macrumors 6502

cyberddot

ugh... ;)

This is fun, but I think it'll be more fun if I start a new section in my personal library: *nix
    Gotta love Orielly at times like these.