Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evisa

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2006
Southern California
While trying to find out what my uptime is at, terminal said I had 2 users logged in instead of one. What's going on? What explanations could there be for this? :/

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Each terminal session counts as an additional login (the main session that runs the GUI is the first). Try the w or who commands to see a little more detail. Also, try opening a few more terminal windows, then look at uptime or w again.

evisa

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2006
Southern California
Each terminal session counts as an additional login (the main session that runs the GUI is the first). Try the w or who commands to see a little more detail. Also, try opening a few more terminal windows, then look at uptime or w again.

Thank you - apparently, both are mine but one is coming from "console" and one from "ttyp1." What that means is completely lost on me, but as long as my Mac hasn't been compromised... I just saw a flashback of my "insecure" days on a Windows PC, is all... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.