Terminal Window?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by glosterseagul, Mar 13, 2004.

1. glosterseagul macrumors regular

2. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular

Doh! I was searching thro all the help files - then i decided to do search in finder. err found it! :rolleyes:

3. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular

can't do it tho?

:confused:

4. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Where are you stuck? It works for me by following these steps:

1. Quit Safari
    2. Open Terminal
    3. Type in (without quotes) 'defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1'
    4. Open Safari. The Debug menu should be to the right of the Help menu. Under the User Agent submenu select the browser of choice.

If you ever want to turn the Debug menu off, repeat those steps but type 'defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 0' into Terminal instead.

5. mystixman macrumors regular

Don't forget to press return after typing that stuff in the terminal!

6. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

Hex, we meet again. Are you using Panther or Jaguar? I took a shot of your "type In' and made sure I followed it exactly .. hit return opened Safari and no change. I use Jaguar is the command line different?

PS the "1" is there I just cropped it out by mistake.

7. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

I'm using Panther. In the screenshot, I did notice one mistake though. It says 'appl' but it should be 'apple'. What this is essentially doing is looking in the Safari preferences file and changing one of the settings. So if the line in Terminal still doesn't work, find com.apple.safari.plist in your Preferences folder and then edit it like follows:
    a) If you have Property List Editor (I think it's among the developer things), double click it, click the triangle by root, find 'IncludeDebugMenu' and change the contents of the string to 1.
    b) Otherwise, open it in a text editor, find '<key>IncludeDebugMenu</key>' and then in the following string tag change the 0 to 1. Make sure the text editor doesn't change the file's format when it saves though.

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Why don't you just use Safari Enhancer. You can enable the debug menu and much much more through a nice GUI rather then using the Terminal. This is not to say that I don't promote the use of the Terminal. I think the Terminal is one of the most useful tools any OSX user can learn to use.

9. Maritan macrumors regular

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Or Cocktail, or just about any system maintenance/modification app.

For a second, I thought you wanted Safari to behave like IE :)eek: ), but I noticed you just want it to masquerade as IE, which is much better :)

11. glosterseagul thread starter macrumors regular

Wooo hoooo! There's a whole new world out there!

It feels like Ive just discovered the Matrix!

I just logged on to my bank using Safari that only "works with IE!"

Thanks for your help the key was quitting out of Safari first and pressing return! apart from those teeny things I had it sorted! :rolleyes: LOL or not!

So what esle is terminal used for...and what esle can I add to safari?