Discussion in 'macOS' started by -::ubermann::-, Nov 7, 2006.

1. -::ubermann::- macrumors regular

Sep 9, 2006
    i just realized than finder doesnt show all folders, how do i open something with any appication in terminal? for example in linux i write kate /dir/dir/something.c which means open something.c with kate, i tried this on terminal but it doesnt work ¬¬
    ...or how do i make them all visible for finder?
  2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Can you tell us which app and which file you're trying to use? The instructions might differ depending on that information.
  3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    To open a document with its default application in terminal, use:

open <filename>

To open a document with a specified application, use:

open -a <application name> <filename>
  4. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Mar 13, 2004
    Can you clarify your statement "finder doesn't show all folders"? If you're talking about hidden system folders... they're hidden for a reason and it requires you to us 'ls -a' in Terminal to view them in the working directory. 'kate /file/path/file.txt' won't do anything because the program Kate isn't on OS X. If you'd like to open a text file within a command line program, try pico/nano. Some programs (such as TextMate) allow you to install a command line alias to the program that allows you to type 'mate /file/path/file.txt' and have TextMate start up and open the given file.
  5. -::ubermann::- thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 9, 2006
    oh kate is a linux app, i mentioned it because thats what i do in linux

but my problem was solved, i dindnt know the open command, thanks

by the way, my problem was that i installed mysql on mac, i was looking for the mysql.info, but i couldnt find anything with finder, however with terminal i just opened it the waay you explained :)
    it says that mysql installs in /usr/local/... but i coulnd find this, only if i enter from terminal with cd /usr/local/...

i have another noob question, how do i see the root folder in finder??