Terminated: Huffington withdraws from race

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by patrick0brien, Sep 30, 2003.

1. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

2. Waluigi macrumors 6502

It's ironic that now that she has dropped out, she is campaigning against the recall. And I thought things couldn't get crazier....

--Waluigi

3. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"Davis said Huffington had brought "wisdom and clarity" to the recall race."

Oh? I quit paying attention to her, some years back. She must have gotten a prescription for smart pills.

:), 'Rat

4. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

I think that maybe she finally got enough campaign contributions to offset her income taxes.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sent to her campaign mailing list this evening:

6. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

IJ, her statement makes a whole lot of sense to me. I hope enough people will pay attention so we don't have to see what real incompetence is under Arnie.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

At this point, I fear the worst. The LA Times ran a lengthy piece on Swartzenegger today, which wasn't very flattering, but I don't think anyone's paying much attention to the details, however sordid they may be. Swartzenegger may just skate into office with virtually no plan, few stated policies, and no experience -- in short, nothing of substance to recommend him for the job.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'll tell you how it's playing for me, in chicago.

all i've seen on the national news are very short clips, mostly of schwarzenegger. the most recent was of him at a rally, yelling "this is a war! we are in the trenches!" to some screaming masses.

i'm sorry, but from that i'm not getting the sense that he's at all competent. i wish people cared for ideas and not some ****ing war analogy.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It isn't playing that much differently here. The state is in the midst of the worst fiscal crisis in its history, and we may be about to elect as governor a man seriously lacking the first clue. Heck, why not -- it couldn't get much worse. Right?

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Attached Files:

11. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Arianna Huffington brought nothing to the race except a desire to make Schwartzenegger look like a dog at any cost.

She should have let him do that for himself, he's doing a fine job of it.

12. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Arianna's campaign was already a joke anyway. Besides, her 'supporters' were not about to vote for a GOP candidate anyway, let alone Schwarzenegger.

But I agree with some of you here that Schwarzenegger could very well be a man without a plan other than what his handlers are telling him... Pete Wilson, Warren Buffet, etc.

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

arianna is and was a joke! when you read her statements it sounds like she wants california to keep getting screwed by its governor and special interest. a vote for davis is a vote for more taxes! arianna just dont get it.

14. patrick0brien thread starter macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-All

After running a campaign under the recall, then withdrawing out of 'failure', then turning around to fight the very thing she was just exploiting, I feel shows that Arianna Huffington is her own special interest.

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

wasn't it davis who reduced the CA deficit from $35 billion to $8 billion? doing so required a combination of tax increases and service cuts.

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

zimv20 doesnt get it either, if davis did the things you claim then everyone should be happy in california and they wouldnt be having this recall, but the reality is the special interest are happy and the tax payer is getting screwed even more.

17. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Um... no.

Huge California deficit is monster behind door
    Okay. There is a $8 billion deficit this year. It would have been $29 billion if it were not for the $11 billion that was borrowed.

So, next year, if tax revenues remain flat and spending remains flat, the budget deficit will still be $29 billion, but now, you have interest from the $11 billion that you borrow, plus part of the principal of that $11 billion. So, the deficit will be larger than $29 billion!

When you are in a hole, you stop digging! :eek:

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

unless you are a democrat in california who has a endless supply of tax dollars and a spending habit to match.

19. patrick0brien thread starter macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Dont Hurt Me

Or rather has the spending habits of when there was an endless supply of tax dollars, but no longer.

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

thanks for the clarification.

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Says the guy from Oregon.

I thought she bought quite a bit to the race, and I'm sorry to see her out of it.