terminated terminal

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by nicos, Jul 5, 2002.

1. nicos macrumors newbie

Hi,

I was having my first go at Terminal, but I didn't go very far. In fact I am unable to do anything because it says "operation finished" (well, actually, what it really says is "opération effectuée") and I can't type in anything else.

Any idea anyone?

Thanks

Nicos

2. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

3. nicos thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

What this usually means is that you opened a Terminal window with a command running in it. (IOW, you didn't start the command AFTER the Terminal window opened).

I also would have thought that opening a new Terminal window (hit Command-N) would have fixed the problem by opening a new window without a process running. If this really does not work, it probably means that every Terminal window you open is already running a process which completes shortly after the window is opened.

I'll look into this more later. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Taft

5. nicos thread starter macrumors newbie

Your description of the problem is far better than mine!

This is exactly what happens - "process running". The window opens, something seems to be happening, although I have not been able to see what it is, and a few seconds later, the message appears (operation finished). And that does it for every new window I open.

That'd be great if you could find something!

Nicos

6. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

take a look at OS X faq
    i know they have a fair bit of info about terminal, sorry i couldn't link you straight to the page, you'll have to look for it.

and if you know what you're doing in terminal, ok then.
    if you're just screwing around, you have been warned.;)

7. nicos thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't worry, I have absolutely no clue of what I shouldn't do in Terminal....

It's just that I'd seen a command line O'Reilly's tips to bring out another minimise/maximise effect (btw the command is: defaults write com.apple.dock minefect suck. (including the period). This seemed like a good introduction to Terminal...

I have no idea whether that works yet...