Terrible Disk Utility Error. HELP!!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by stoid, Aug 16, 2004.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I tried to Repair Permissions this evening, and I get this error:

Verify permissions for “Cubit”
    Error: No valid packages (-9997)

Permissions verification complete

WTF does this mean?!? Is my computer busted?!? :eek: :eek: :eek:

2. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

From Apple's site:

Disk Utility can't verify or repair permissions on the Mac OS X Panther volume if the "BaseSystem.pkg" file is not in /Library/Receipts.

This alert appears when you try to repair permissions with Disk Utility:

"First Aid failed
    "Disk Utility stopped repairing permissions on '(volume name)' because the following error was encountered: No valid packages"

In the Disk Utility text window, this message appears in red text:

"Error: No valid packages (-9997)"

This happens when the BaseSystem.pkg file is not in /Library/Receipts.

Solution

If you've moved this file, move it back to /Library/Receipts. You shouldn't normally remove any files from /Library/Receipts.

If the file has been deleted, replace it by copying it from a different computer that uses Mac OS X Panther, or by reinstalling Mac OS X 10.3 from an installation disc.

3. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

Holy CRAP! I was trying to 'slim down' my System Folder. I noticed that the Library/Receipts folder was like 400MB, and it looked like all files downloaded from Software Update or something. I emptied that folder. DAMMIT!! Well, at least I can just connect to the our PowerMac downstairs remotely and wirelessly (yay!) and pull up that file.

At least it's replaceable without having to wipe the system! I'm currently in the middle of a vast project that is making extensive use of FCP and Adobe CS and I don't have time to go through the crap of reinstalling everything. Thanks Les!

4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

And now you have a better understanding of two useful sayings: 1.) If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 2.) Look before you leap.

5. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

I wonder what else I broke! :eek: :(

Once I finish this project, it looks like I'll be doing a fresh OS install. :eek:

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

Mainly the permissions repair feature. I've noticed that under 10.3 it's far less necessary than in the past, so you're probably ok for a while. It's odd that the folder was 400MB for you--I didn't realize it usually got that big, and mine is under 40MB even after every incremental 10.3 update.

Basically each installer leaves some info on what it installed and what the installed items' permissions are supposed to be in that folder, which is why cleaning it out can be a bad thing (also why you have to check permissions while started up from the drive you're checking), and prevents you from checking permissions.