TERRIBLE expirence buying from apple

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Steven1621, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

my parents recently purchased a refurb iMac from apple. they had grown tired of dealing with their old gateway and wanted to make the jump to a mac. to put it as simply as i can, apple completely dropped the ball on the order. my parents ordered the imac at the end of march and a week passed...then another week...and then a few more days. finally, my parents called apple to see what was up. apple had the order on file, but for some reason they had no idea where the imac was. they first said it was never shipped. they then said it was lost by fedex. next, they said it was not shipped or lost, but they had no idea what had happened. in the end, my mother managed to find out that they oversold the number of imacs they really had in stock and were hoping that one might show up in time to send to us. i can understnad what happened, but you would think apple would give us a call or something within a few days instead of letting two and a half weeks go by. needless to say, my parents are very upset at apple at the present moment and canceled the order. to make it worse, they don't want to buy an powerbook for me since they had so much trouble dealing with apple. i think apple is a very respectable company and wouldn't want a customer to be treated as we did. is there anyone that i should contact within apple to, in some way, rectify the situation and restore my parent's confidence in apple? has anyone had something like this happen before?

2. Bhennies macrumors 6502

Sorry to hear that. i hope your parents aren't dismayed. All i can say is, write to Apple, and hope for a response.

3. chv400 macrumors 6502

you could try ordering form a resaler like macmall

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

well, your parents will need to do some thinking, weighing their perceived value of Mac vs. bad service they received. because unlike Windows, you don't have a choice - if you want a Mac, you can only get it from apple, inc. (and resellers)

if they don't think advantages of Mac are worth it, then apple deserves to lose your parents business because of its mishandling of your parents order.

i would call back and ask to speak to someone higher up and see what they think.

as for your PB, you will need to convince your parents that there's no replacement for a Mac and that the service they received is an anomaly.

5. claytonbench macrumors member

Buy it for yourself.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's unfortunate. The only time I bought a computer directly from the company is when PowerComputing was in business. They were amazing--apparently Dell does know something about sales. One simple phone call to order and they had the machine to me in a couple of days.

Apple gets better and then, they lapse back into the quagmire again. It's confusing to me. I've thought about buying from the Apple store but I want to carry the machine home with me.

I hope your next experience is a good one, of course, if there is a next experience. :)

7. cubist macrumors 68020

iMacs are in extremely short supply right now. It might be that updates will be coming; it might be a good idea to wait anyway.

You might try MacMall or SmallDog, smaller companies with good reputations for customer service.

I got a refurb G5 1.6 from Apple Store, it was here in a week. It's terrific, too.

8. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

Sorry to hear such a bad experience. Also i hope your parents realize that Apple cannot always make a quick response reguarding problems with computer purchases. Many companies probably try but don't aways follow through. You were hopefully one of the few that was just mislead by bad "India" representatives not knowing what was going on. Granted i do not know if Apple hires out of country support staff it is well known that many major companies do including Dell. I hope you get your Powerbook, and maybe your parents will reconsider on an iMac, the supply of everything is supposedly really low, especially the refurbs, as they send them out when a "new" refurb comes in. Hope everything works out for you.

9. legion macrumors 6502a

Wow! Racist and blame-shifting/Apple-apologist. You're making some great karma inroads.

10. haiggy macrumors 65816

That was pretty racist... wow... :eek:

11. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

This kinda thing "NEVER" happens with DELL or Gateway.

12. claytonbench macrumors member

I seriously dont see the racism.

13. Kurt Cobain macrumors member

living in Santa Monica is awesome, Macwise in particular. Apple store is few blocks away, MacMall is a walking distance and a couple of more Apple stores around 10 miles away. I also saw at least a bunch of unfamiliar mac resellers scatterd around the area. If you CAN buy a mac off Apple store (or a reseller), DO IT.

I've seen Timothy Dolton walking out with an iMac G4 (when it first came out) from MacMall and any time I go by Apple store, I swear, a handful of people ALWAYS walk out happily with a box of PBs or iBooks in their hands.

Personally I've had ONLY, PURE bad luck with any types of shipments, specially with computers. Situations like super late due to annoying n00b workers who blame me for giving out the wrong address. Of course UPS/FEDEX add their karma on top of it all by coming in on the days I noted I won't be home (why, cause drivers wanna get rid of the boxes as fast as they can, they wouldnt give a sligh eff if they missd me. They even ship it on SUNDAYS, YES, the days they officially DONT work). In the best case scenario, I gotta go pick it up at late evening all sweaty stressed and mad before the order will get back to the sender. Any company, you name it, I've never had luck with. I've had shipments gone back to the senders before. :sigh:

So for me, shipments of urgent/important toys will NEVER ever be considered again.

Hear it from me, If you have hard time ordering like this aweful situation you had, try your best to get it physically from a reseller, or an actual STORE.

p.s. Dont wanna sound too bitter with this history of mine, but I know other people have zero problems with shipments. So :D

14. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

I wasn't trying to be racist at all. Just saying that a lot of US companies have their support overseas. I have called Dell, Motorola (Cell Phone), and a few others and there support people are either confirmed by other stories or if you listen to the accent of the service rep you can tell they are not from the States. Once again i am not racist just stating facts.

15. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

Political, not racial. Unless, someone is anti-American.

POLITICAL but probably not "racist".
    Politically and sometimes personally, Americans have recently gotten very irritated with American companies who have out-sourced Customer Services, Customer Relations, and Technical Assistance to non-American (foreign) companies instead of hiring & training unemployed Americans to do the work. Some corporate Executives and even some State & Local govenment officials have lost their jobs or have been dealt with harshly when the public has complained about out-sourcing.

When I couldn't figure out how to master/slave a couple of Western Digital 100GB hard drives I was very pleased with being able to contact the company at night on a weekend with their 24/7 service. Although I did have some trouble understanding his "foreign" accent, the Indian tech knew exactly what he was talking about and solved my problemS in a matter of seconds. Was I pleased with the Service, YES - it was A+ and I was tickled pink. Was I irritated with the out-sourcing of American jobs, only a little...mostly because Western Digital probably doesn't manufacturer a thing in the US. Probably made in Thailand, Taiwan, or the New Territories on mainland China, off Hong Kong and Kowloon.

In contrast, I use to get irritated with my mortgage company because any time I wanted to discuss my payment status and get some help with the Escrow Account, I was talking with someone halfway around the globe and despite both of us speaking English, there was very much a LANGUAGE BARRIER that created a lack of real understanding. It got so bad after one year of out-sourcing that my mortgage company cancelled the foreign contract. Now we get to talk to Americans in Detroit whose understanding of American-English sometimes is even more challenged. Go figure.

Out-sourcing has become extremely common and the backlash so harsh that Customer Service people are often deathly afraid to admit they are even located in Canada, which to most Americans is like being the eastern part of Alaska, or just North of New York, and thus almost part of the "States", though we clearly understand Canada is a sovereign country. Regardless, many Americans are fed up with out-sourcing for political and for language barrier problems. It's a fact. Deal with it. There is nothing Anti-x about it, the political position is pro-American labor.

Decades ago the Japanese realized that Americans wanted to buy cars "made in America" so they got smart and built plants all over the United States, hiring American labor. That stopped most of the criticism - how can you "hate a Nissan automobile" made in Tennessee. We also realize that if we buy a car built in Stuttgart, Germany, the labor is heavily Turkish so it really isn't "German made" just German engineered in Germany. :).

In Arizona, there are so many illegal Mexican nationals doing hard labor jobs which many Americans refuse to do for any wage, that Spanish has become our second language. Thankfully, most of us studied Español in high school or we'd be at a loss to find a bathroom in a restaurant without asking ¿Dónde es el baño sitio? or more likely ¿Dónde esta el quarto del baño, por favor?...pronto, pronto!

Racist? hardly. Our world is shrinking everyday - I bought a Japanese hard drive from an American dealer in California (now that's really foreign ;) ) and was a little surprised to find a sticker on it saying "assembled in Vietnam". Now that's a real "wow". Last time I was there it was 1969 and there wasn't much manufacturing or assembling of computer parts going on.

American companies doing business with Japanese companies who do business with Vietnamese. Now that's cool. :cool:

But American companies laying off American labor to "down size" the company and save money, who then out-source those jobs to India or even to Canada, that's politically incorrect in America. Not racist, but political.

So, if you want to hit him with a slur of some sort, make it politically oriented instead of racial. But be careful, he may be a French-Canadian who has immigrated to the US and is working for Wal-mart and living in an Italian neighborhood only 66 miles from where he was born.

The Indian government has for many years been subsidizing technical schooling for their citizens so they can become world-class experts in computers and compete with people all over the globe. The Indian government had to know that someday their political policy was going to impact people in other countries...and it has. There is natural resentment towards Indians who take other national's jobs. This is an international problem.

Beyond out-sourcing, American electronics corporations have been hiring Indian Experts, paying them far less wages in place of Americans, and that has also become a real sore point in my state. But, it is also a reality. That's why some of my Canadian and Scottish engineer friends are moving home, their jobs have been taken by Indians. These engineers don't have any choice.

Americans do have a political choice, and the war is on against any American company that out-sources labor and American jobs to citizens of a foreign country. Americans like foreign citizens of all races, but not Americans who give domestic jobs to foreigners instead of to fellow Americans. Guess maybe that is "nationalistic". Is it okay to be pro-American?

16. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Sorry to hear that your parents won't let you get a powerbook because of THEIR troubles with Apple. I've "switched" a few people that I know but they were forced to stay PC when their parents refused to buy them a Mac because they have some kind of hidden agression against them. It's too bad that parents don't realize that they aren't going to be the people using the computers. If the child/student wants it more, wey not let them have it?

17. Kurt Cobain macrumors member

but in his case its not as simple as you make it look, if I was a parent I would definitely hold off anything with Apple (who I adore so much), no matter how much my kid wants it... AT LEAST to let things cool down first. I'm completely not against the guy, but I can definitely understand his parents point of view just as much.

Besides, it didnt look like they were fascinated by the Macs since the osx and the recent MACs came out, but more like a try out of a switch. I dont blame them, its THEIR MONEY after all and unlike many of us, I deeply assume they are far from being considered as power users like steven. So all this mac/pc story dont mean beans, specially after this awefully surprising crap from apple.
    However, it is shame Apple didnt take care of this afterwards to prove this whole coinsidence to be their fault. I hope they will compensate those guys, somehow

18. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

STEVEN, I agree with Kurt, Blackheart, and the legion of others :p,
    you and your parents were mistreated by Apple. :( So, let's start from scratch. ;)
    • Steven & Parents, I apologize on behalf of Apple for the way you were mistreated.
      Apple is sorry from the core.
    • Steven really does deserve the finest laptop computer made for students in the world - a
      15" PowerBook with SuperDrive
    • If the educational discount is available elsewhere, Do NOT purchase it from the Apple Store, or - you will pay TAX. Look at the bottom line.
    • Wait a few weeks (hopefully) until the next Mac PowerBooks are released - great deals will abound, speed bump in models at same price as now, etc.
      It's probably good the other deal fell through, this could turn into a real "windfall" for you, moneywise and computerwise both.

19. janmc macrumors newbie

I understand why the big companies are using countries like India to man their support lines. It's purely a matter of economics. I agree though that support being in the same country as the user is preferable. Buying a computer from Dell in Ireland is made more difficult because every single line of the address has to be spelled out letter by letter, because place names here are often unusual. This would apply to anyone who had not lived here, including native English speakers.

(My boyfriend's first name is Eoghan, which is pronounced Owen, just to give you an example of how difficult it can be to a non-Irish person).

Though actually, as I write this I suppose because the US is such a multicultural country, this is possibly completely irrelevent. :)

20. janmc macrumors newbie

My point was that local knowledge is useful in dealing with people. There was a story in the English papers a while back about how the people in various Indian call centres were trained in English popular culture, so they could relate to the callers better!

Dell sell pc's? You mean to tell me this isn't a Mac? :rolleyes:

When I was working in Cape Cod for a summer in a pizza place and taking phone orders, some people would ask to speak to someone without an 'accent'. I quickly learned to speak in an American accent when I answered the phone and to say tomaytoes, baysil etc instead of the proper way of pronouncing them.

Have a nice day!

21. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

As of now, Apple is still hiring customer service representatives from both the Apple Store Online and AppleCare from within the United States. I make an effort to ask whichever CSR I'm speaking with at the time where they are located. The last AppleCare technician I spoke with was in the Northeast, I believe Connecticut.. but not for sure. I always find in fascinating to ask them about the weather, etc during those times you are waiting on the line for 15 minutes for them to lookup information.. they seem to react kindly also.

If your worried about oversea support, ask whoever your talking--its not like they are working out of a secret secure hideway call center in the mountains or anything ;) hehe

Josh

22. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

Gee, I do the same thing. Glad I'm not alone.
    My "weather" questions are more sinister, living in Arizona our Winter temps are usually in the 70°F range during the day, so if the person is in Canada, Minnesota or Buffalo, NY, I like to rub a little "snow" in their face. :p Phoenix gets real snow only about once every decade or so.

On the flip side, people wonder how we handle 110° and 115° heat during the summer. It's DRY heat and we don't stand around outside in the sun light, especially between 11 am and 3 pm. ;) Once the sun sets (beautiful), then we crawl out of our refrigerated caves and shop, party and swim at night. And, no, I don't own a camel. But, we do have a Camelback Mountain within metro-Phoenix-Scottsdale.

23. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502

thirteen1031

You do know that these CSRs are told to say they're from the States, don't you? My brother made a call to some customer service recently, got a rep with a very thick Indian accent who insisted he was located in Texas. Next call to the same customer service place--another person with an equally thick Indian accent--that person insisted they were located in Ohio.

Then again, maybe my brother just got some strange luck-of-the-draw and hit two Indian gents living in the US and working for the same company, both in customer service? I wonder what he'd get third time around....

24. davecuse macrumors 6502

davecuse

The one thing that you have to consider about Apple's service is that chances are the only time you'll need to call is to order a new one when you've got some extra dough lying around.

I do tech support for a software company and people are constantly calling us about strange problems because they tried to call the pc manufacturer and could not understand what the rep was saying. Dell has moved their call centers for US calls back to the states. It's not that reps from India don't know what they are doing, I'm sure they are very smart, it's just a communications barrier.

25. Steven1621 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

FYI...everyone that we talked with spoke perfect english and appeared to be from america