Terrible names

Discussion in 'Community' started by Thomas Veil, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I was in K Mart today (I know, I know...) and heard an employee say, "Clara, we need more quarters."

Clara??

Holy cow, talk about a bad name. Is that short for Clarabelle?

[flashback to Three Stooges] Florabelle! Corabelle! Dorabelle! [/flashback to Three Stooges]

Anyway.

Know anybody else with a really bad name? Eastern european names can be funny. I know somebody with the last name of Golem. I find that funny because in mythology, a golem is an artificial creature without a soul. Yeesh. I also know a guy named Meodrag, whom we nicknamed "Me on Drugs".

2. iGav macrumors G3

I quite like the name Clara.... my hosting company is called Clara.net and I know a Cara... ;)

Bad names include... Rusty and Randy.... you have to be really cruel to call your kid 'Randy'... :p :p :p

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I used to have a diving coach named Jilian Butt...

Doesn't get worse than that, now does it? ;)

And I don't mind the name Clara. Comes from the Latin Clarus-Clara-Clarum meaning anything from clear or bright to famous.

Personally, I think my name, Emerson, is kind of weird, but not bad.

scem0

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I also think Clara is a good one...kinda sexy actually. ;)

But bad names...let's see...

• Willie
    • Dickie
    • Garth

(I apologize to anyone here with the above names or linked to said names :eek: )

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I also think that Clara is a nice sounding name. It reminds me of Shirley Temple in "Heidi". It was the girl in the wheelchair that Heidi was brought in to be her companion. Except Clara in German is spelled Klara.

I think that parents do there best when it comes to animing a child.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028988/

6. Awimoway macrumors 65816

My grandmother was named Claire. Her Norwegian mother was named Clara. I like Claire better than Clara.

What I hate is the idiotic names people are giving their kids today... Madison, McKenzie, Mickayla, etc. Old men's last names as young girl's first names? I really don't get it.

I prefer names that are a little more stately, a little more traditional. My daughters are names Ellen (after an ancestor) and Marilyn. Possible boy's names we've considered (the wife's expecting) are Thomas, Joseph, William, and Walter.

7. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

i like unique names ... usually a person with a strange/weird name is memorable ... you've proven this by coming on here and complaining about it ... you may not like it ... but you sure remember it ...

there are hundreds of Thomas', Mike's, John's out there ... i know a few of each myself ... i know a Klara as well ... it's her eastern european name, her anglicized name is Claire ... but i'm pretty sure everyone just calls her Klara

but ... definitely unique names stick out ... the only reason they sound "bad" to you is because it's not common, and your the kinda person that doesn't like things "different" -- kinda weird to be on a apple/mac site ... LOL j.k :D

8. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

HAHAHA... yeah it is... that was such a stupid story about that stupid dad...

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It's not really that bad because it is the same as being a II or Junior. I happen to be a Junior. It isn't the name that the child will be called.

I have a unique name. Haven't come across anyone else with my name. There was a cartoonist with my first name and the historical person that my father was named after. It was because my grandmother liked the name.

10. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    id rather be JR or II or the III

but not version 2.0

granted tehy mean teh same thing but please 2.0 sounds like 1.0 was a faliure hehe

11. alxths macrumors 6502

It bugs me when people in english speaking countries name their kid Wolfgang. It sounds so bloody silly in english.

I also think my name, Alex, sounds pretty bad; but I think the full form, Alexander, sounds quite good.

12. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i know this guy called "Adolf"... man! incidentally a couple of jewish friends of mine doesn't really like the guy "Adolf".

13. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

We had a someone come over from the USA called Randy, he spent the day going round the office saying "Hi Im Randy". It made us all laugh!

14. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Hey, I resent that!

r(andy)downs

15. King Cobra macrumors 603

I don't either, but I know a MacKenzie. And I knew her for years (as a friend) before you just mentioned about the old man thing. So, easy there, big guy. [​IMG]

And Clara isn't too bad of a name.

But I will give you a bad (last) name. (reaches for elementary diploma of 8th grade graduate students) ... Dumlao. [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My brother was a foster parent to a boy that had been abused by his father. His name was Richard after his father. My brother adopted him a couple of years ago. He had many adjust and personalty problems. He decided to change his name and he chose Randy. I think partially because my brother's name is Rodney. He has made quite a turn around over the years. No longer a discipline problem. He is playing sports and doing quite well. Also made the honor roll last semester, won 2 tickets to see the Cincinnati Reds.

17. iAmAzN macrumors 6502

how bout Kellan? its a guys name btw.. i dont know but it sounds weird to me

18. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

McMan____

Any of that is annoying.

Also german last names like myself.
    Born-e-mann.

Its annoying cause whenever a person meets me they have to say it all wrong and ask me if it was right... arg.

19. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

20. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

try John Thomas on for size...no pun intended. The sad thing is my family history is traced to decendents coming over on the Mayflower...and my parents didn't know that a John Thomas in UK is another name for a man's P{nis.

When I met my wife I had to get out my drivers license to prove to her that my name was really John Thomas...she said no one would be that cruel...until she saw my license.

Come to find out there are tens of thousands of us out there.:D:cool:

21. Apple //e macrumors 6502

do spanish names count?

men:

monico
    doroteo
    margarito
    primitivo
    secundino
    cayetano
    jesus
    teofilo
    wenceslao
    victoriano

women:

concepcion

i went to school with a girl name spelled "america" but pronounced "ah-meh-REEE-kah"

22. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

23. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

When I was working in retail, I took a check from a guy whose last name was Hittler. Yes, the two T's made all of the difference.:p

24. Awimoway macrumors 65816

A couple years ago I read an article about the only surviving relatives of Hitler (second cousins or something like that). They were all American and they all changed their names from Hitler to something else. They also all agreed not to have any children and completely kill off the line.