Terrible Problems With SNES Power Supply

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by chucknorris, Nov 20, 2005.

1. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

A couple of days ago, I got a wild hare to play Donkey Kong Country for Super Nintendo. Knowing I had the cables and games, but not the system, I asked around and was lucky enough to find a "working" console for free.

Upon trying to power it on, the light was blank. I tried multiple outlets, still blank.

I wasn't surprised by this (it was free after all), so I called various local businesses until I located a shop selling SNES consoles. I drove over, purchased one (with cables and controllers), and was happy to finally be on my way to Donkey Kong.

Miserably though, I got home and found that the light wouldn't come on on this one either. With time to spare, I just went back to the store and exchanged it.

I got the new one home and....power for a second, then nothing. Assuming at this point it was a bad power supply, I had the guy at the store give me a new one and test it with the machine (it worked just fine).

When I arrived at home, I plugged it in, it started up just fine until....off again. New power supply, same result.

What could possibly be happening? Somebody please help!

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

are u plugging it in the same power outlet all the time? that outlet might be holding a power spark..

Bless

3. chucknorris thread starter macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

Good question! I had been, but I got curious and tested others.

The funny thing for a while was, if I didn't have anything attached to the console and took it to an outlet in another room. It would turn off and on just fine.

Now it won't even do that anymore.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

so all the outlets in your house is giving u the same problem?.....any other electronics giving such a hard time?

Bless

5. chucknorris thread starter macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

All the outlets are giving the same problem, and I haven't noticed any problems with other electronics.

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

im guessing that your house is a playstation or sega fan then.

Bless

7. chucknorris thread starter macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

Likely...

8. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i dont have a clue if they have it, but is it switched on to the correct voltage if the snes is able to switch between 120 and 230 volts (or something like that) if so could you have been plugging it in at the wrong voltage and so be frying to power supply? or not having enough voltage to drive it?

9. davidcrandall99 macrumors newbie

Sometimes it can be as simple as the weather outside. You may consider getting a surge protector for your AC adapter/power supply. Sometimes weather conditions or a bad/faulty electric wiring to your outlets can cause an extra surge of power to your AC adapter that it cannot handle. A surge protector will normalize that extra push of electricity.:)

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I didn't think Chuck Norris had problems with anything.:p