Terrible Yahoo maps makes iPhone weather wrong

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphnhelp, Jul 29, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

I live in the Burbank, CA area and the weather on my iPhone has always shown my current location, using GPS, as Los Angeles, CA. And the weather is different enough between the two cities that it's getting annoying.

I traced this back to the fact that Yahoo is providing the weather, and Yahoo uses Naveteq for maps, and Naveteq maps shows a large part of the Burbank/ Studio City area as Los Angeles. So when it seems my location in that area it looks it up on the Naveteq/ Yahoo map and it is listed as Los Angeles so it shows weather from Los Angeles.

Very frustrating. I've used Naveteq map reporter to suggest they change it but I'm not holding my breath. Wish I could send a request to Yahoo but can't find any support site for suggestions.

Anyone else have this problem?

2. macrumors 68040

It's often off by 10 degrees or more here.

3. macrumors 6502

Go in your weather app.

Press the "i" symbol in bottom right.

Press the "+" sign in upper left.

Type "Burbank, CA" and click on it in the search results.

Done :)

4. thread starter macrumors regular

Right. But then you don't get accurate weather in the notification screen or any other place in iOS where the weather is integrated with the gps.

5. macrumors 6502

Feel free to try any of the many weather apps in the AppStore then.

There are so many they even have their own category :)

6. macrumors 6502a

And even then it doesn't work right, it's always off by several degrees so I don't use the notification center for weather anymore it's just so inaccurate.

7. macrumors regular

For me, the location is correct, but accuracy of forecast is horrible. I gave up on that built-in weather app, downloaded one from App Store instead.

8. macrumors 65816

The op doesn't want a weather app, he/she wants apple"s default weather to be accurate so he/she doesn't need to launch an app to see the weather.

Just another thing apple does poorly and stubbornly. It is not too much to ask that apple use a credible source for default weather.

9. macrumors 6502a

Yahoo gets their weather data from the The Weather Channel. Have you tried that route?

10. macrumors P6

Are you sure that what Yahoo! uses for mapping is involved in iPhone's weather app? It could easily be that the phone itself figures out the local location and then uses that to ask Yahoo!'s weather service (which uses The Weather Channel weather data) to provide the weather information for that location.

11. macrumors 6502a

Settings - Privacy - Location Services - Weather - OFF

Now open weather app, add Burbank, drag it to the top of your list of places. Finally, go back into weather app and make sure Burbank is showing on page 1

Close weather app. Drag down notification center. Burbank should be displayed. .

Admittedly not useful if you travel a lot, but it's a way to do away with the GPS-dependent weather info (and associated battery hit every time you pull down Notification Center)

12. macrumors 6502

While we're on the topic is there anyway to get a different notification centre widget for another weather provider?

13. macrumors P6

nope, just what Apple provides.

14. macrumors 603

Menel

Odd that Yahoo uses two completely different data sources for weather...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21375290996.250443.jpg

15. macrumors P6

The Weather Channel owns Weather Underground, so in a sense really different weather sources.

16. macrumors 6502

I've recently been having the same issue...it used to work fine before and now it most often displays "Los Angeles" as my current weather location when I'm in Santa Clarita...and that's even further from Los Angeles than Burbank. What gives, Apple? I hope this is fixed in later software updates...annoying.