Terrorist bomb threat discovered - US/UK flights.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Applespider, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The UK media are reporting that there has been a major bomb plot foiled in the UK to blow up multiple planes midair between the UK and US.

18 people have been arrested around London and there are no flights currently leaving.

Those going to UK airports are being told that everything must be checked in. The only things you can take on as handbaggage are a small wallet and your glasses (no cases) and any medication, no electronics (no iPods/no phones). You're not even allowed a book or newspaper currently. No handbags either - these apparently apply to any flight leaving/scheduled to enter UK. They're saying this is precautionary but I guess it shows how seriously they're taking the threat.

Link to the BBC's story

2. jonparadise macrumors member

Sitting here at my desk at a hotel in central London, been fielding questions from guests about whether they should fly today.

Like a hotel receptionist is privy to intelleigence information.

I hope this doesn't lead to a heap of cancellations again.

3. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

looks like we may have some long delays in the UK

some airlines and countrys are cancelling flights to the UK:eek:

4. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

:(

God I HATE Terrorists.. Just piss me off! Sorry, I know I'm stating the obvious and sound silly, but when you break down all the religious reasons, and all the rest of the garbage they use as 'a reason to fight' - that to me doesn't matter, as I see everyone as equals - they're just sick mindless drones.

Its very sad that they should feel their death is holy for blowing up a plane, full of young children, all the way up to elderly adults who have served various countries over the years.

Makes me sick this is how people have to live, and news reports of ''another plane has been blown up by so-and-so Muhammed-whatever''.

5. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Just God damn great.. as if I wasn't afraid enough to fly anyway (mechanical failures, weather issues and what not..) now blowing up flights in mid-air.. my biggest fear.. arggghhhh! :mad: :mad:

I'm supposed to fly Boston-LHR and then LHR-Mumbai.. maybe I should just change my flight connections to Zurich instead.. oh damn, anything can happen anywhere. I'm just glad atleast these bastards got caught.. and I hope the US is as effective as the UK lads in detecting these threats.

How the hell do you smuggle explosives on your carry on?? :confused: Everyone gets checked so thoroughly befoe boarding an international flight.

6. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

So agree.. its frikkin primitive, animalistic reasoning. Retarded bunch of asses.. and yes, I am very sympathetic towards muslims because of what they have to endure but sometimes enough is enough. There will be a point when the world will just get tired of everything and attack Muslims.. whether they are good people or bad. Sucks.

7. Queso macrumors G4

After the events in Forest Gate, why am I sat here thinking this will all end with no charges being brought against any of the 18 detainees?

I notice Bliar got out on holiday okay. Must be nice.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I think the problem is that that point was reached several years ago.

9. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i think they are searching for liquids and powders + electrical items that can be the trigger

the BBC say's the planned attacts was Mass murder on a huge scale !

10. Queso macrumors G4

The BBC is just reporting what the Home Office is saying, the same Home Office we know to be less than infallible. Time will tell whether this action is justified, but until then I remain rather sceptical.

11. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Here we go again. Never a good sign when MI5 elevate the threat level this high. And the hospital I work in is right underneath one of the main Heathrow approaches :eek:

12. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

Well Said!!

The only worrying thing is Josh.Thomas's response - naive in the extreme. Broaden your enquiry Mr Thomas and find who is doing the real plotting and killing. The jihadees are amateurs by western standards.

13. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

My girlfriends supposed to be flying into Heathrow from the US today. Whoopsy daisy.

As with anything concerning the Home Office, I'll wait until the end of the x month inquiry until believing a word it utters.

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Completely agree.

This is why we must go after the terrorists until they are gone.

15. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

True.. but I meant on the civilian level. There has always been racism towards Muslims anyway, but eventually it might be heightened to great extremes. Rather unfortunate.

Responding to other posts.. when do you stop thinking "oh this must be another government setup to instill fear in people".. and when do you start taking these arrests seriously?

16. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Susi.. terrorists are not exactly a finite number of organisms.. they will never be 'gone'.

Rather silly logic but.. at my in-laws house there has been a recent rat infestation. Why? Because the neighbouring fields are giving way to construction.. so there's no food.. so rats invade the houses to find something. No matter how many rat traps you might place in the house, they keep coming.

Nobody can get rid of terrorists unless the issues that provoke them are resolved. Sorry about that rat analogy.. rather embarassed by that :p

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Dream on.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

When somebody produces a shred of evidence.

19. Queso macrumors G4

Exactly. Also maybe when they stop trying to cover up their mistakes by dragging the names of their victims through the mud.

20. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Hell will have frozen over before the Americans 'go after' the Israeli government.

21. pink-pony115 macrumors regular

pink-pony115

I may not be the person who is into politics but why should the terrorists even CARE to blow up America. Terrorists have not been raised right. I'm going to put a restraining order against terrorists.

22. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Oh dear.

23. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Shall we give Osama Bin Laden an ASBO?

24. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Depending on how conspiratorial you want to get I suspect he may get another suitcase of cash from the CIA.

:)

25. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

If you want to be even more conspiratorial, you could say that Osama Bin Laden doesn't even exist... ;)