Testing iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by queshy, Jan 18, 2007.

1. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Hello everyone,

Sorry for all the threads - I'm just a little overwhelmed while making the switch! I got my new iMac yesterday and it was working great until I did something (not sure what) and everthing went bad. I called Apple and they had me erase the hard drive and then reinstall OS X. Now everthing works perfectly again. basically, the finder toolbar up top kept flashing/disappearing and the computer was unusable...everthing would just quit once you open it. Once the OS was reinstalled from scratch, the machine is brand new again. Im just hoping that it was ME who messed up the computer and that the computer itself isn't internally messed up. I'm sort of paranoid that it's gonna break again...is there any way to test all the hardware to make sure it all works? If it happens again, i'll get a replacement from Apple...but I just feel bad because it's brand new and don't know what to think of it! The computer is FANTASTIC, but I'm just worried there's something wrong with it because that happened.

Thanks!

P.S. Dashboard is AWESOME!

2. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

I got my imac in November and still loving it. I have had Safari quit on me only about 4 times. I have been spoiled by my mac, i can't get on my Gateway computer anymore, it just doesn't feel right.
    Enjoy!

3. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

I've had my iMac for only about 2 weeks.

I will never buy a dell again! You will see alot of reasons to love your mac when you start to hear about all the Windows Vista complaints of crashing!

This is the first time I can say I have seen a truly stable OS outside of Unix.

and OS X *is* built on a *nix kernal anyway!

4. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

5. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

If I remember correctly, there should be a DVD in your computer box marked "hardware test" Try running this if you want peace of mind. Otherwise, it was probably just a dodgy installation and the reinstall will have sorted it.

6. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

Thanks. So I have nothing to worry about it? Im just worried about having a faulty computer...everything is working PERFECTLY and my computer was fine out of the box...until I installed someting or did something...the problem was so bad I actually had to reformat. Not just the archive...but the complete erasal of my HD. I will run that test afterlooking for the CD. Do you suspect this was a hardware problem, or just something I did?

By the wya, this thing puts every other PC I have used in my life to shame.

7. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

I think I seen that in my apple care box.

8. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

Thanks everyone, the problem is completely fixed...i'm pretty sure it was a software problem. I should stop annoying eveyrone lol...

9. Eckels macrumors newbie

Re: "Dashboard is awesome!"

I'll be joining the club tomorrow - The 20" iMac with 256k video and 2gigs I ordered is supposed to be delivered tomorrow, the end result of a decision I made a month ago (to switch). I've been really excited. So much so that I started screwing around with my laptop (a windows book), and using programs like windowblinds, and objectdock to simulate the Mac working environment. At first it was just for fun, but now that i've started using functions like the dock, and the top apple style menus, and widgets, I don't want to go back to the windows layout. It's so much more intuitive. Granted, it's still windows, and still has all the vulnerabilities that windows has, but it's a step in the right direction.

I can't wait for the mac to arrive. It's going to feel mighty satisfying to dump my pc. And this is coming from someone who built ever computer he's ever owned.

10. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Congratulations on your new machine. There are many sources for help if you have trouble getting used to OS-X. Macs have always had a helpful user community and there are good books for switchers.

Give some thought to getting Applecare if you don't have it.
    Backing up is worth doing if you currently don't.

Best wishes. Enjoy your computer.