Testing Java in Browsers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PrometheusG5, Sep 14, 2004.

1. PrometheusG5 macrumors member

Jun 23, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    How do I test if I have Java 1.4.2 properly installed? Some sites I visit (with either Safari, Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape, or Camino) say I do not have Java installed, so I want to perform a standardized check to see if it is properly installed.
  2. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Java is an integral part of MacOS X. It is inconceivable that it is not installed. That said, it is either installed or it is not. There is no middle ground. Actually there is a middle ground. You may have disabled Java in your browser. Check your browser's preferences to be sure. The broadband speed tests at this site use Java. If one of them runs, then Java is installed, enabled, and working properly in your browser.
  3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I have similar problems with the school site and Camino and Firefox.

I'm not sure how they're trying to detect it but they're doing it incorrectly.

Apparently, I was incorrect about their incorrectness. It's an Apple change that broke things. You'd think that Apple would cooperate with developers but that might be a first time.