Testing Quote Notifications

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by arn, Dec 11, 2011.

1. arn, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011

arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

We're testing out a new quote notification system.

There may be some bugs, so post here if you see any problems.

1. Note that notifications are not instant, so the badge may take some time to appear, though your quotes should appear in this link right away: http://forums.macrumors.com/profile.php?do=quotenotifications

2. Quotes won't appear until this moment onward.

This can also be accessed from your "Your Notifications" pop down menu in the top right when logged in.

arn

----------

A quick test.

arn

2. macrumors 65816

adcx64

3. macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Works, but is pretty useless. Why do we need this feature?

4. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It works! Very cool! I find it quite useful! Will there be a link on the User CP to access the quote notifications? I notice that once you've looked at them, the notification disappears, so rather than having a separate link to bookmark, it would be great if there was a link on the User CP page. Also, how long will they remain on the notifications list? Will they fall off after a certain number or time frame?

5. macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

There is already a link in User CP (at the bottom). I haven't been able to test this yet but it should prove quite useful.

6. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Thanks! I missed that! That'll teach me to post before I've finished my first cup of coffee! :D

7. macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

What do you mean by "badge"? I haven't seen any indicator that my text was quoted. I have to go to User CP>Quote Notifications to see if I've been quoted.

The only thing I do before I've finished my first cup of coffee is start my first cup of coffee! :D

8. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First cup finished, so I think I can answer that. I believe the "badge" is the bold "Notifications" that appears in the blue box in the upper right corner of this page, under "Welcome, r2shyyou." and "You last visited: Today at..." It appears under the notification for Private Messages.

9. macrumors 601

Moyank24

That's right...When I first logged on this morning, I actually thought I had a PM. But it was actually a quote notification. I like it!

10. macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Gotcha. That being the case, it's not working for me (I don't get notifications). I can see that my text has been quoted under User CP>Quote Notifications and I checked under User CP>Edit Options and made sure the "Quote Notifications" option was selected but I'm not getting a notification like I do when I get PMs.

11. macrumors 601

Moyank24

Looks like the badge notifications aren't instant - so you may be seeing them in your user CP before the badge actually appears.

12. macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I see, thanks!

Oh wait, my text was quoted at 10:12 AM and 10:28 AM, and just now by you, and I still haven't seen a notification. Hmm...has the notification thing worked for you? I'm guessing 30+ minutes is longer than we should expect to wait. In any case, this being a new feature, it wouldn't be surprising if it was still a bit buggy or taking time to filter properly to all users.

13. macrumors 601

Moyank24

When I woke up, I had a quote notification badge - but it was from 3:00AM, so I'm not sure how long it actually took.

14. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Well, arn did say "that notifications are not instant, so the badge may take some time to appear", but they should appear in the Quote Notifications link on the User CP right away. I wouldn't depend on the badge for instant notifications, anyway, since I use Forum Spy to track current activity. Where this is helpful is coming back to the forum after being away for a while or overnight, and wanting to see who quoted me first, so I can respond, as distinguished from activity in threads I'm subscribed to, but where I wasn't quoted.

15. r2shyyou, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011

macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Gotcha, thanks again! I'll give it more time.

I use Spy pretty much exclusively and have automatic subscriptions so I can see the little checkmark when someone posts in a thread I've posted in but this feature should be helpful to track times where we've actually been directly quoted.

EDIT: My notifications just now appeared. :) Took approximately 45 minutes. Sweet! I like it!

16. macrumors 68000

lewis82

17. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Very cool, Arn! This is a feature I was looking for a while back but probably never mentioned it before. This will be very useful to be able to respond to a post we were quoted in that we may have otherwise missed.

I've already had one today.

Good job! :)

18. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Stumbled on this earlier with 3 of my posts quoted. I like the feature, thanks for implementing it.

19. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

20. arn
    thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

The notification delay should be about 10 minutes now.

arn

21. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Thanks! Any feedback on my earlier question?:

22. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

I made a couple replies, left MR and came back about three minutes later and it showed two thread replies... so it appears to be working in even less then ten minutes.

23. arn
    thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

There looks like a hard limit is in place now with 50 of the last quotes, so we could increase that or add pagination in the future.

arn

24. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Working fine here. I saw the notification and immediately came looking for this thread.

25. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Thanks!