Testing the iPhone...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by levitynyc, Jan 9, 2007.

1. levitynyc macrumors 65816

I wonder if they tested if for drops.

I have dropped my Treo 700 a few times and its managed to survive a few rough falls.

I wonder how durable this thing will be. From the look of it, it looks unbelievably hi-tech and sensitive. You may end up surrounding it in 3 inches of armour to protect it....especially at 600 bucks.... + imagine what it costs WITHOUT the 2 year contract....you can probably buy a macbook for that price.

2. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Shyea no kidding! Plus no user replaceable battery? Also how do u expect to put a sim card in it? And the price? You must be joking Apple. If you want to hit the cell phone market in the side of the head then u need to hit ALL of the market. Not just the high end. :rolleyes:

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It would be nice but I think to add to you having to be extra careful is Cingular has a good chance at not offering insurance on the phone because it is to valuable. So if you break it you are even more screwed.

4. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

Is anyone else worried about the entire faceplate getting scratched to hell or am I the only one that would be anal about it.

5. After G macrumors 68000

After G

It did have two years of research behind it ... that said, I'd hope that you wouldn't abuse your phone like that. But I know things happen. Probably why they didn't use a hard drive in the thing.

6. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Im guessing that these "issues" are being worked out fairly quickly. Though from the looks i dont itnhk the internals will be damaged as much as the sceen if dropped. MAybe the (I forget what it is called) will sense when it is falling and a little parachute will pop out?
    Who knows...

7. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I think all that the two years worth of research amounted to is to incorporated a feature in using the internal accelerometer to detect free fall and display a message to the user "Warranty void" before logging that fall in NVRAM or something so that Apple knows :rolleyes:

8. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

That's just ridiculous, at least you know my idea makes some sense :p

9. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

Like when they released a cheap CD player to accompany the original iPod?

10. levitynyc thread starter macrumors 65816

I think its all more likely that you will scratch the hell outta the screen.

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

My wife gave my Steven Levy's book "The Perfect Thing" about the iPod for Christmas. They apparently spend months dropping the 1G iPod, selecting new materials, etc... until they got it right, so my guess is that they have done the same for the iPhone.

B

12. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I've dropped my Moto v51 more than just a few times, and well... it keeps on going.

13. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

Insurance would be a necessity obviously. I wonder if AppleCare would provide a Accidental Damage coverage for the iPhone. Some PC companies offer it for their laptops. It would be a good idea, but probably isn't in the cards. I'm sure Apple made it SOMEWHAT durable, it won't be a tank, but I suspect that it will be able to withstand some abuse....it IS a phone after all....

14. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

No no, id much rather see a mini airbag pop out upon impact. So that way when u drop the phone and the airbag deploys, the phone just bounces back up into your hand. Dont get me started haha. :p

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

it would be though cingular plan and the real question is will cingular be willing to put it on this phone. I know some of there new high end stuff like that they are not willing to put it on because it is to great of a risk for them. 3-4bucks a month to them is not worth it to cover a 600+ retail phone.

16. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

Speaking of the entire market spectrum - i smell iPhone Nano. kinda like when iPod first came out. highly exclusive, very expensive device. then it trickles down to mainstream. :)

17. Jowl macrumors 6502

Where does it say no user replaceable battery? I must admit I did wonder about that.

The sim Card goes in a slot at the top though doesn't it.

By the time it's over here in the UK (and affordable!) we'll be on revision 2 or 3 though :D

18. steelfist macrumors 6502a

:i won't buy it because it's not waterproof. i take showers with my phone you know: :rolleyes:

sarcasm aside, are people really that clumsy to drop a phone? how many people carry sharp coins in their pockets?

it's possible, but having a 4-8 GB iphone restricts the iphone nano to only 1-2 GB of space, which is even more horrible as a mp3 player.