Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tacit37

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2014
Hi guys,

Just to share a solution that worked very well for me. Basically using a pen holder sticker which comes with a loop for the pencil - I stuck it to the back of my ipad on the top so it's easily accessible and doesn't hindle me using in landscape mode.
[doublepost=1463850109][/doublepost]Hi, I was wondering where you got this pencil sticker?

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2015
Various
Just received mine... immediately shows the awkward (but effective) magnet placement in the iPad Pro.

Strong grip - strongest appears to be along the side, opposite the Smart Connector.

My only problem thus far is that mine was bent during shipment - so much so that the wooden placeholder inside was broken. So my sleeve has a wrinkle/fold in it.

Overpriced and less than stellar shipping, but we'll see how long it lasts.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Just received mine... immediately shows the awkward (but effective) magnet placement in the iPad Pro.

Strong grip - strongest appears to be along the side, opposite the Smart Connector.

My only problem thus far is that mine was bent during shipment - so much so that the wooden placeholder inside was broken. So my sleeve has a wrinkle/fold in it.

Overpriced and less than stellar shipping, but we'll see how long it lasts.

Heat it with a hairdryer while it is on the pencil. As it cools, set it how you want it. Get it just before too hot to touch. It actually works, and works well.

Reactions: Enygmatic

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2015
Various
Heat it with a hairdryer while it is on the pencil. As it cools, set it how you want it. Get it just before too hot to touch. It actually works, and works well.
Appreciate this and will still give it a shot, but it's a bit more severe than that - the actual magnet inside is broken. With the pencil inside, it's rigid and thus performs its job, but yeah... it's just a victim of ****y packaging and *****ier handling.

MaloCS

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
I wanted to give a 6 month update on my Moxiware sleeve.

I received the sleeve as a Christmas present 6 months ago. As soon as I slipped it on the Pencil I was in love. Not only did the stronger magnet keep the Pencil more secure than stock but the silicone sleeve provided grip and a bit of cushion for longer usage times.

For 6 months this cheap little sleeve exceeded my expectations, that is until it stretched out of shape. Now, after I use it a bit and the silicone warms up, the sleeve easily slips off the pencil. In fact, I almost launched the Pencil across the room as I quickly moved my hand. The Pencil slid three quarters of the way out of the sleeve before friction stopped it.

These little sleeves are pretty cheap so I'll probably buy another to replace the one I have now. Some people might experience this same issue and want the sleeve to be made more robust but I don't know if that's warranted. I was getting bored with my blue sleeve anyway and was thinking of buying another color before the "slipping" issue arose. It might be better to keep them cheap and sell them in packs of three. I would buy it.

Last edited:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I wanted to give a 6 month update on my Moxiware sleeve.

I received the sleeve as a Christmas present 6 months ago. As soon as I slipped it on the Pencil I was in love. Not only did the stronger magnet keep the Pencil more secure than stock but the silicone sleeve provided grip and a bit of cushion for longer usage times.

For 6 months this cheap little sleeve exceeded my expectations, that is until it stretched out of shape. Now, after I use it a bit and the silicone warms up, the sleeve easily slips off the pencil. In fact, I almost launched the Pencil across the room as I quickly moved my hand. The Pencil slid three quarters of the way out of the sleeve before friction stopped it.

These little sleeves are pretty cheap so I'll probably buy another to replace the one I have now. Some people might experience this same issue and want the sleeve to be made more robust but I don't know if that's warranted. I was getting bored with my blue sleeve anyway and was thinking of buying another color before the "slipping" issue arose. It might be better to keep them cheap and sell them in packs of three. I would buy it.
Thanks for the update. Would adding a wrap/skin to the Pencil pick up the slack? I was considering getting a wrap/skin (one that made it look like an actual pencil) but figured that trying to get the pencil into the Moxiware sleeve would ruin the wrap.

I'm looking forward to receiving my MoxiWare sleeve this Sunday (a father's day present, along with a Citrix X1 mouse for my iPad).

MaloCS

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Thanks for the update. Would adding a wrap/skin to the Pencil pick up the slack? I was considering getting a wrap/skin (one that made it look like an actual pencil) but figured that trying to get the pencil into the Moxiware sleeve would ruin the wrap.

I'm looking forward to receiving my MoxiWare sleeve this Sunday (a father's day present, along with a Citrix X1 mouse for my iPad).

Sracer,

You asked if installing a wrap under the sleeve might help. Well, I just added some blue painters tape under the sleeve and it's now rock solid.

I cut a piece of the wide painters tape about 1/2 inch shorter than the sleeve. Then I centered the tape on the Pencil and wrapped her up. I slid the sleeve over the tape from the top. For some reason, installing the sleeve from the top of the Pencil was a lot easier than forcing it on from the bottom.

I'll report back with any new developments but I think this will solve my problem. Thanks for the idea!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Reactions: sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I received my Moxiware wrap yesterday. short review: love it!

To make inserting the Pencil a bit easier, I coated the barrel of the pencil with a little talcum powder. The magnet is very, very strong. It securely attaches to the Smart Cover, Apple Smart cover, and bezel.

IMG_0276.JPG

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
I received my Moxiware wrap yesterday. short review: love it!

To make inserting the Pencil a bit easier, I coated the barrel of the pencil with a little talcum powder. The magnet is very, very strong. It securely attaches to the Smart Cover, Apple Smart cover, and bezel.

View attachment 637020
Love the blue! I stuck with white. I could get mine on but the talcum powder idea is genius.

I still marvel at the utility of the Moxieware sleeve.

Reactions: sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Love the blue! I stuck with white. I could get mine on but the talcum powder idea is genius.

I still marvel at the utility of the Moxieware sleeve.
Thanks! I went with blue as the closest I could get to matching my classic Pentel Quicker Clicker... I've used this mechanical pencil for 30+ years.

The Moxiware is making it more convenient for me to use the Pencil.

7175672878_b7dd749b2f_b.jpg

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I have been using it with the smart keyboard. In the fully closed position, I stick it to the back of the keyboard close to the edge. In the "laptop" position I stick it directly to the screen (either side of the isight camera). When I am transporting it, I stick it though my sitck on pen holder which unlike the OP I have it on the middle fold of the back of the keyboard hanging off the top edge (in portrait).
Mine works fine with the ASK. In the closed position it stocks perfectly up towards the top edge.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Mine works fine with the ASK. In the closed position it stocks perfectly up towards the top edge.

I stopped using that pen holder. When in the closed position, I use the magnet and hold it in the middle of the cover. Before I heated the sleeve to shrink tight onto the pencil I was worried, but now it's good.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I stopped using that pen holder. When in the closed position, I use the magnet and hold it in the middle of the cover. Before I heated the sleeve to shrink tight onto the pencil I was worried, but now it's good.
I actually cut the Moxi down to just the magnet part which fits between my pencil grips and the pencil cozy.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
Wow. I'd say your going a little overboard here. I received mine a few weeks after ordering. They are in Canada and their postal system is a little on the slow side. I'm sure yours will show up, be patient.
I ordered this item from them too, 23 days ago. Haven't received yet, but look at this order from DX:

http://www.17track.net/
RE798599038SE

As you can see, it didn't take too long to arrive in my country, but it's being held by customs. The delay might be entirely from them, and I heard it can take up to 90 days for this kind of package to arrive, in extreme cases, and no less than 30-45. It doesn't matter where you are, if it's an international shipping, unfortunately we need to sit and wait.

As for the Pencil, I keep it inside its own case when I am not using, I would never let it attached to the Smart Cover, for fear I might drop on the floor someday. That was not the reason I bought this in the first place.

I don't think the Pencil is so slippy and hard to grip as some users have complained, yet I'll use this to give it a different feel, the one I remember that I had with certain pens using similar material.

TekkieWreck

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2015
United States
I just ordered one in red - will let you know how it works out - seems like a great idea since Apple decided not to offer the Pencil in other colors, or provide a storage solution in any of its cases.

Andy847

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2016
Chicago Suburb
Mine just started to loosen to the point i can easily slide it off, so I"ll have to do the blowdryer fix. So far out of everything I've tried, this is the best answer for me. I keep it on the top/side of my smart cover when not using it and on my Ipad Pro when using it, but doing something without the AP. Trying something new and will give a review probably tomorrow on it.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
I have not received mine, but they issued a refund and I made a deal with them to pay for the item again, once it arrives here. They were unable to tell anything about it (no tracking number), but were very professional about it, and always replied promptly. I will assume it's still on route, held by customs. If it does not arrive within the next 30 days, I will never use AirMail or any shipping without tracking again, it's too risky.

Another item ordered from Sweden days later it's already here, so this must be lost, I find unlikely it's still going to arrive. Moxiware is from Canada.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
I had a terrible experience with this product (yes, it arrived). Like I said, they refunded my order due to the delay, and fortunately this was not held by customs, so I didn't have to pay anything for it.

I received after almost 2 months later. However, it was 100% impossible to insert this thing into the Apple Pencil, and believe everything else, just DO NOT question this: I tried following all instructions and inserting as best as I could.

Either I received a bad sample or this company needs to devise another product instead of this one.

Or I am really awful to do this sort of stuff:
http://goo.gl/kJOQT9

This thing became stuck and couldn't go anywhere after a while, and once it was screwed up (my fingers are stil sore from the attempts), there was no way other than cutting with small scissors. I noticed it could only be inserted 60-70% at best.

I can tell the magnet worked fine and the grip is nice with it.

However, I wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy the experience I had today. I was really afraid of damaging the Pencil.

So my final advise is this: don't buy unless you are absolutely sure you are going to be able to insert into your Pencil. What happened today reminded me of another terrible moment when I bought a screen protector for the iPAD (at the time, worth US$ 30) and attempted to do the same thing I did today (instead of paying someone to do it for me).

The thing was ruined and I also had to throw in the garbage. I was only able to save a very small microfiber cloth. But, in the case of screen protectors, everyone knows it requires some technique and it's not easy, or at least requires you to be very thorough.

Moxiware only instructs us with that short video, and that wasn't enough.

Last edited:

sneak3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Guys, I'm between the white and the black. I would LOVE the white but if I'm going to have to worry about how ugly it'll get with time and dirt, then the black it is. For those who have picked the white, how is it holding up? Does it stain easily? Does the dirt come off easily?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.