Tests are out....Raptor and Maxtor beat new Hitachi

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Ikstej24, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Ikstej24 macrumors regular

I know a few people out there were saying that the new Hitachi HD's were going to be the fastest, but the Maxtor Maxline III (and Diamondmax 10) and the Western Digital Raptor are still the fastest drives. Anyone looking to get a new boot or storage drive, these are the ones to look for.

I have both in my G4 and I couldn't be any happier. Overall system performance is much faster.

2. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I'm not doubting you, but it would be nice to see some links.

AppleMatt

3. Ikstej24 thread starter macrumors regular

4. milozauckerman macrumors 6502

slightly off-topic - I just bought a DM10 (retail kit labelled "Ultra16") at Fry's for a second HD on my new desktop. I was planning on making it my secondary disk - media storage (iTunes, photos, projects, etc.) and the 250GB OEM drive my primary. But I guess I'd be smart to switch them, no?

5. RAS admin macrumors regular

RAS admin

The Maxtor MaxLine III (and Diamondmax 10) SATA drives are great drives if you are using a Firmtek SATA card or using built-in SATA slots. Be careful when buying, because early production of these drives do not work reliably with Sonnet SATA cards. Also, they only have the newer SATA power connector (most SATA drives also include a "Legacy" power connector). It is possible to update the ROM on these early production Maxtor SATA drives using a PC, but this is a major hassle.