iPad mini Tethered Mini to iPhone - GPS

Discussion in 'iPad' started by convergent, Nov 2, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

Just got my Wifi Mini and love it. I am planning to tether it to mu iPhone by Bluetooth. While that works great for Internet, Bluetooth tethering doesn't seem to pass GPS data. That works fine via Wifi. My only reason for using Bluetooth is its more battery friendly. In a car though, I can always connect to power.

2. macrumors 6502a

I also am planning the same thing once I get my ipad. Please do share your experience how the tethering is working with the ipad mini and hows the navigation.

I have to change data plans but that's fine as long as the navigation gps works.

Please update your findings

3. macrumors member

Woah, this really works? What about using a jB iPhone via PDAnet?

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't jailbreak, so I can't answer that one. I will try it out driving around later. But I'm pretty sure with Wifi tethering the GPS will be fine.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, this was kind of a fail. I tried to use apple maps with it tethered via wifi. It was able to track but it updated about every 5 seconds... Not good for live nab. Worse, the iPad maps app wasn't doing turn by turn, but rather like the old maps app did. I tried Waze and it didn't work well. I'll stick to the iPhone for navigation. It works fine.

6. macrumors 68020

d21mike

I tried this as well and could not get it to work. When you first open Maps it will get you location but I do not think it is coming from the tethered GPS. Probably Wifi Location based. I know others have said it works but it certainly does not work for me. I think this should be something Apple could make work if they wanted too. It would be nice.

7. macrumors 68000

pooleman

It was my understanding that the wifi only iPads don't have GPS, only the cellular models do. I bought a cellular AT&T ipad mini, I have no data plan cause my company just gave me a blackberry that can be used as a mobile hotspot (they haven't activated it yet but it should be turned on any day now).