Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Ok so I am one of the few who obtained 'legal' tethering! :D yay!! Haha. I haven't really had much use for it yet so today was my first real experience with it for more than just a couple minutes.

I'm in a little po-dunk town with no 3g so I was forced to use edge for my tethering process. Oh well. It actually worked faster than I was expecting. BUT I haven't even been on for an hour and a half yet and my battery which was FULLY charged at the beginning now has LESS than half of its battery life!

Ok, I thought the iphone 3g was suppsed to have 8 hours of edge internet usage, but with tethering it looks like I'll be lucky to get 2 and a half out of it!! I'm afriad if I used 3g I'd only get 1 and a half!

Is this normal? I know, I know, I could EASILY plug my iphone into my laptop, but what if I just don't want to do that!? :p

bigmouth

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008
Ok so I am one of the few who obtained 'legal' tethering! :D yay!! Haha. I haven't really had much use for it yet so today was my first real experience with it for more than just a couple minutes.

I'm in a little po-dunk town with no 3g so I was forced to use edge for my tethering process. Oh well. It actually worked faster than I was expecting. BUT I haven't even been on for an hour and a half yet and my battery which was FULLY charged at the beginning now has LESS than half of its battery life!

Ok, I thought the iphone 3g was suppsed to have 8 hours of edge internet usage, but with tethering it looks like I'll be lucky to get 2 and a half out of it!! I'm afriad if I used 3g I'd only get 1 and a half!

Is this normal? I know, I know, I could EASILY plug my iphone into my laptop, but what if I just don't want to do that!? :p
Doesn't it tether to the computer via wifi? Running wifi+data will run your battery down reallyy fast...

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Think about all the transmitting thats going on when you tether. When you click on one link on your computer while tethered, a data goes:

Computer -> iPhone via Wifi
iPhone -> Rogers via 3G
Rogers -> iPhone via 3G
iPhone -> Computer via Wifi

When using the phone as Apple intended you're going either

iPhone -> Wifi or iPhone -> 3G

In laymans terms, much more data transfer = much more demand on the battery.

buccsmf1

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
yes, tethering KILLS the battery. I'd say you'd be lucky to get over 2 hours from a full charge while tethering. And from what I've heard on the forum, the phone uses more power than the wall plug can provide, so even if you're plugged into a wall, your battery still drains

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
yes, tethering KILLS the battery. I'd say you'd be lucky to get over 2 hours from a full charge while tethering. And from what I've heard on the forum, the phone uses more power than the wall plug can provide, so even if you're plugged into a wall, your battery still drains

that's not been my experience. yes, tethering will drain your battery pretty fast, but it won't continue to drain if it's plugged in.

i also got netshare, and i just plug my phone in whenever i tether.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008

That doesn't sound right, I don't see how the iphone can use more power than a wall plug can provide. I plug my desktop computer, television, refridgerator into my wall plugs! Are you telling me a little iphone uses more power than a refridgerator!?

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
On My iPhone, or my iPad?
That doesn't sound right, I don't see how the iphone can use more power than a wall plug can provide. I plug my desktop computer, television, refridgerator into my wall plugs! Are you telling me a little iphone uses more power than a refridgerator!?

Your appliances run on 110V AC....your iPhone does not. The iPhone runs on 5V DC. I the power adapter steps it down, so no the iPhone does not use more power than appliances. It uses more power than the 5V adapter can provide.

Uh Clem

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008

No, but while tethering it uses more power than the usb connection can provide.

My battery drops from full to 50% after two hours of tethering with the phone connected via usb to my MBP.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Your appliances run on 110V AC....your iPhone does not. The iPhone runs on 5V DC. I the power adapter steps it down, so no the iPhone does not use more power than appliances. It uses more power than the 5V adapter can provide.

Ok, so its the adapters fault, not the power coming out of the wall. I guess Apple should make more powerful adapters for its iphone then.

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
On My iPhone, or my iPad?
Ok, so its the adapters fault, not the power coming out of the wall. I guess Apple should make more powerful adapters for its iphone then.

The transformer in the adapter performs at a certain specification, ie 5V at 100mA (these are examples not the actual requirements). If the power necessary to perform the task, ie tethering, takes 5V at 120mA, then the power adapter will not meet the needs. The iPhone was not designed for tethering, therefore the adaptor was not designed to support the power requirements, and the battery is only designed to accept a certain requirement as well. As this app has been pulled from the store, Apple is probably not going to design an adapter to meet these additional power requirements. As I said the iPhone was not designed for tethering, I assume this was an AT&T issue. But the long answer to your question is yes. The power out of the wall is in no way the issue. It is the Battery and Charging Adapter for the iPhone. :)

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
FWIW, all phones will drain quickly when you tether, not just iPhones. The combo of wifi+internet just kills the battery. BT tethering is slightly better but not by much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.