Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Honza

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
SF Bay Area
Which do you prefer? I read an article on Lifehacker that said wifi had faster speeds, while Bluetooth connects faster and uses less battery. However, when I tried Bluetooth the other day, it seemed like I wouldn't get push notifications. It almost seemed like my iPad mini would only pull down data when I would load something, rather than have an active connection all the time like off of wifi. Also any experience on which is most convenient? I have an iPhone 5 so I do get LTE speeds, although Bluetooth seemed fairly speedy to me.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
Which do you prefer? I read an article on Lifehacker that said wifi had faster speeds, while Bluetooth connects faster and uses less battery. However, when I tried Bluetooth the other day, it seemed like I wouldn't get push notifications. It almost seemed like my iPad mini would only pull down data when I would load something, rather than have an active connection all the time like off of wifi. Also any experience on which is most convenient? I have an iPhone 5 so I do get LTE speeds, although Bluetooth seemed fairly speedy to me.

I use wifi. You're correct, when connected via Bluetooth, you don't get push notifications for iMessage and stuff. It's frustrating...with wifi, the connection only stays open as long as you're actively using it, so it might turn off if you leave it idle for a couple minutes. With Bluetooth, the connection stays open, but no notifications. Hopefully that's something Apple will fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.