iPhone TetherMe to iOS 7

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cclloyd, Jun 10, 2013.

1. macrumors 68000

cclloyd

I had TetherMe on my 6.1 iPhone 5, and now that I'm on iOS 7, tethering still works. Just thought I'd share :)

2. macrumors 6502

Could you tell us a little more like which carrier you have and how this might have worked? That is one of the things I refuse to lose. I paid for tethering for so long and now use tetherme. Would be great to go to ios 7 if I could still tether.

3. macrumors 6502a

How are you able to do that?

Tethering is the only thing holding me back from upgrading to iOS 7.

4. macrumors 6502

Stock iOS can tether. You have to pay your carrier for the privilege though.

5. epphllps, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013

macrumors 6502

Don't take it the wrong way, but we certainly do know that. He used tetherme on a jailbroken phone and then upgraded and can still tether without jailbreak. Now he either has a plan with tethering included or something happened that kept tethering unlocked.

6. thread starter macrumors 68000

cclloyd

It kept the settings that TetherMe used to hide the tethering. I've used it extensively and haven't gotten a message from sprint yet. I'm so far assuming they don't know.

As for how I did it, I just had TetherMe, and then restored to iOS 7.

7. macrumors 6502

Would be curious if this will work with Verizon as I'm on the old nationwide plan and tethering is not included. May wait for more people who try this.

8. macrumors 65816

I used MyWi and didn't want to pay $5 for a trick that may not work so I use a cracked version of TetherMe and that didn't work for me.

9. macrumors 6502

I'm using the cracked version of tetherme just fine. MyWi has too many issues whereas tetherme just activates the stock tethering.

10. macrumors 65816

When I said didn't work I meant when I upgraded to iOS 7 (the tethering setting was reset to default settings)

11. macrumors 6502

TetherMe to iOS 7

Yeah I definitely didn't gather that from your post. Thought you were just speaking in general.

So it looks like that was just a fluke for him. I didn't think it was really possible for settings to carry over like that.

12. macrumors 603

Carlanga

Also to consider, sometimes betas have all these functions open. So ask someone that doesn't have tether me if in iOS 7 they can tether. Also, you prob did the update to iOS7 and not restore which would also explain why your settings stayed. Hell, even restoring from backup could cause tether to stay on ;)

13. thread starter macrumors 68000

cclloyd

I restored, not updated.

Also no duh a backup would cause it to come back, as it recognizes you have settings for the default tether built in. I think tetherme writes settings that enable it in the part of the file system that gets backed up by iCloud, thus it carried over into iOS 7.

14. macrumors 603

Carlanga

So Mr. duh; did you or did you not use a back up then? Also, it doesn't recognize it, but backups overwrite certain things.

15. macrumors 6502

I know this is old, but I just tried the same thing, also on Sprint, and it works, but when I go to turn on the hotspot, the Personal Hotspot preference pane quickly deletes itself from the settings app.

16. macrumors 68040

braddick

So, basically it doesn't work.