Texas deputy sues family who called 911 for help

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Aug 16, 2013.

1. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I think someone needs to explain his job to him, then fire him.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...ho-called-911-for-help-4736324.php?cmpid=hpfc

2. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I think he should sue. But, not the family. He should sue the Harris county sheriffs dept for not training him to deal with drug-impaired, mentally-ill, or otherwise unstable or diminished capacity people in any way except to taser and/or shoot to kill. Why doesn't Harris county have mental units to deal with situations like this?

3. macrumors 68040

How dare someone call the cops into a dangerous situation. :cool:

4. macrumors 65816

Oh, look...Texas.

5. macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Better not call 911 if this goes through. Imagine an EMT banging his knee when they load the gurney into the ambulance and suing... or better yet a fireman suing you because when he was hosing down your house he got burned.

I've heard rumblings that this is a counter suit to an original one (wrongful death) brought on by the family.

Still sounds ludicrous regardless.

6. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Why wouldn't a cop injured in the line of duty be taken care of by worker's comp, or something like that?

If they are insured against injury, why sue the family to cover these costs?

From the OP's article ...

That makes sense to me.

Throw this lawsuit out.

7. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Hopefully they have a nice smartass lawyer who will counter sue the deputy for killing their family member, if they cannot get it thrown out quickly.

Happens enough these days where the police training comes into play for unwarranted killings during altercations, if the officer is dumb enough to open himself up to a counter suit -- he deserves it.

8. macrumors 603

mrkramer

Probably because this happened in Texas.

9. macrumors 6502a

Gutwrench

There are some exceptions but the same general risk theory exists in California for law enforcement and firefighters. Law suits like this aren't too common but in those I've seen what generally happens is the respondent's attorney (personal, homeowners or auto) fires a letter to the petitioner's attorney claiming the legal protection and offering a small settlement to drop the case. Otherwise the respondent will ask the court for a summary judgement and if granted will also include an order for the petitioner to pay all the respondent's legal expenses. And the world turns...

10. macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Cool. We haven't had a ridiculous story coming out of Texas for...

(checks watch)

...oh, fifteen minutes.

11. macrumors 68030

Your confusion is understandable. You were expecting Florida, weren’t you? ;)

12. macrumors 68000

And the family suing the taxpayer is equally ludicrous.

13. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Because wrongful death isn't worth suing over?

I am not saying that I believe it was wrongful death.

However, if the family—some of whom witnessed the incident—believes the man was wrongfully killed, why is it ludicrous for them to file suit?

14. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

If the man was acting under the influence of drugs, and, the deputy did as he was trained to do, then, legally speaking, it probably wouldn't be a wrongful death (a legal term):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrongful_death

However, that does not mean that it was not an unnecessary death. By both the official description and the family description of what happened, a trained Psychiatric Emergency Response Team (PERT -- but, there are several variations of name/acronym) would have been able to handle this situation without shooting the subject.

http://www.countynewscenter.com/news/psychiatric-emergency-response-teams-seen-model-law-enforcement

http://www.comresearch.org/pert.php

15. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Thanks for the clarification.

Let me phrase the question in a more general way.

ThisIsNotMe, if the family thought the police officer killed the man without sufficient cause and wanted to sue, why would that lawsuit be ludicrous?