Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
I am a Mathematics professor at the University of Pennsylvania (an Ivy League school).

I faithfully still read Macrumors every day (usually just lurking, not posting much!).... now I am curious if there is a good website for Texas Instruments calculator rumors. I saw
http://www.ticalc.org
but I didn't see any rumors about new TI calculators.

I am thinking about buying the TI-89 Titanium, but it was released in early 2004, and I am curious if/when a newer model or a newer calculator will be released. Any thoughts/suggestions?

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
My sister used a TI-83 Plus when she was a 9th grader and she's 5 years older than me. I used a TI-83 Plus when I was a 9th grader. I think the TI-83 Plus Silver Edition came out when I was in 10th grade because of the surge in calculator use with high schoolers. I'm in 12th grade now. The TI-84 Plus/Plus Silver Edition/89 Titanium came out when I was a junior or that summer between junior and senior year.

Even if you have the model of the last generation, it still works and probably does just as well. For my uses, a TI-83 Plus still gets me through Calculus C AP. Plenty of people with TI-84's and even a TI-89, but it doesn't help them learn Calculus any better. You can get by with a TI-82 if they make those anymore. Don't waste your money on all of that extra "stuff."

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
mward333 said:
I am thinking about buying the TI-89 Titanium, but it was released in early 2004, and I am curious if/when a newer model or a newer calculator will be released. Any thoughts/suggestions?

If you're actually being serious...

An 89 Titanium will get you through the highest and most advanced maths available in high school.

If you need a calculator now, buy it now and enjoy it, don't fret that a new model is on its way...

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
edit!

OK, I hope that everybody can see that I do use all the "extra stuff", because I am doing research mathematics at an Ivy League school (U. of Pennsylvania), where I am a professor.

Does this change anybody's opinion, eh?

Thank you (in advance) for any advice that you have.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
mward333 said:
OK, I hope that everybody can see that I do use all the "extra stuff", because I am doing research mathematics at an Ivy League school (U. of Pennsylvania), where I am a professor.

Does this change anybody's opinion, eh?

Thank you (in advance) for any advice that you have.

Well, touché. :cool: I was assuming you were just high schooler, not a person doing research mathematics at UPenn ;)

In that case, the latest and greatest is always a good plan :) Your choices are the Voyage 200 and TI-89 Plus. I'd read up on both and make sure to find out which one fits your needs.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
One source*claims there is a new TI-89 Plutonium in the works with a 16:9 touch screen, Bluetooth and a dock with a remote so that you can play back your favorite graphs on any handy TV set. I don't know about you all, but my credit card's burning a hole in my pocket waiting for this baby!

* That would be me.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
My profs each have several caculators...usually an 83, 89 and a Voyage(r?)

They each have strengths...the 83's main strength being super-easy use and a big font. The others are great for advanced stuff...but when you're adding 158+59395, the 83 will shine.

Being that they haven't changed any of the core lines, 83, 89 and Vyg., at least in basic function, in something like 5 years, I don't think sweeping changes are in the works.

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
iMeowbot said:
One source*claims there is a new TI-89 Plutonium in the works with a 16:9 touch screen, Bluetooth and a dock with a remote so that you can play back your favorite graphs on any handy TV set. I don't know about you all, but my credit card's burning a hole in my pocket waiting for this baby!

* That would be me.

ROFL... LOL.... still laughing. That was hilarious!

OK, so nobody thinks that a replacement for the TI-89 Titanium is in the works, eh? Maybe I'll swipe the TI-89 Titanium this week.

If anybody really does hear about a TI-Plutonium (ha!), or anything similar, I would seriously love to know about it. Everybody feels sick when they buy something, and a new product is released quickly afterwards. Ugh.

Maybe somebody should purchase the URL
http://www.tirumors.com
I would visit, at least once in awhile.

tweakers_suck

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Would this work?

I think you could solve some big problems with this calculator.

calculator.jpg

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
my advice would be: if a ti-89 titanium does what you need to do, then get it. if there's some functionality it's lacking, then perhaps it's worth waiting.

oh, random thing: my dad is also m ward and taught at penn for a couple of years (albeit in the language department, and when he was in grad school, not full-time)

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I have a TI-83+ Silver Edition and it's awesome. Won't the school whee you teach provide you with a calculator?

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
homerjward said:
my advice would be: if a ti-89 titanium does what you need to do, then get it. if there's some functionality it's lacking, then perhaps it's worth waiting.

oh, random thing: my dad is also m ward and taught at penn for a couple of years (albeit in the language department, and when he was in grad school, not full-time)

That's too strange about your Dad, eh?

Thank you for the advice.

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
ITASOR said:
I have a TI-83+ Silver Edition and it's awesome. Won't the school whee you teach provide you with a calculator?

Of course they will.... and I am hoping to buy this TI-89 Titanium now, unless there is a reason that I should wait.

I've owned several of the various high-end TI calculators over the years, and you're right: They are awesome.

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
I personally am in love w/ the TI-84 Silver Edition. I don't really know why. I just like that thing! :D :p :eek:
*goes and crawls back into her stupid little hole*

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
Well I own a voyager 200 and I love it.

I would like to point out that the TI-89, TI-89 titanium, and the voyager 200 all run on the exact same OS. Power wise there is no differnces bettween any of them. The hardware for the most part is the same. Same interface. Biggest differnce is some cosmetice and memeroy. The voyager has a larger screen and the keyboard. They havent change the OS in what is it over 6 years. I dont think it will be an issue.

If you are not going to take advance math (at least cal II or higher) then you only need a TI-83, 84 at best. In Cal I they quite offen ban the Ti-89 and higher. Heck quite offen they bann all calculators in calculas. Heck the Ti-89 and up dont really even become useful until the end of cal I. The stuff they can do that the 83 can is the easy stuff in cal I and if you cant do it you are never going to make it. Yeah now I have gotten lazy and I dont like doing it by hand but I still can do it very easily and I still do it from time to time if I dont have my cal on me at the time or if I am helping some one out doing Calclus. I may have to look up something really quickly that I dont rememeber but I understand it.

really the TI-89 is designed for engineers and sciencest and then math majors. If you are not one of those people you general dont need it and it is a waste of money.

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
Yeah, I dont think a new calculator would be in the works, and if it is, it will most probably be a minor update, such as increased memory, or maybe a faster processor (12mhz upgraded to maybe 15mhz :eek::p).
I purchased the TI-89 Titanium at the start of this year (I am in my second-last year of high-school). I purchased this particular calculator so that I could use it at uni in the future. So far, the calculator has been great! :)

I would purchase now, not much point waiting for a minor update really (if it were to ever come). :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.