Texas teen points to heavens, gets relay squad banned from states

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MuddyPaws1, May 6, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

2. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. macrumors 68030

.Andy

I'd wager we aren't hearing the full story here. Religious link bait at it's finest.

4. macrumors G4

skunk

How did they know he wasn't indicating that they came first?

5. Ugg
    macrumors 68000

Ugg

It's a shame that it needed to come to this bit I think humility is a very important lesson for kids in sports.

6. .Andy, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013

macrumors 68030

.Andy

How do we know the real gods didn't punish them for gesturing to a false idol?

Edit: here is a statement from the officials involved;

http://www.ihigh.com/vypedfw/article_168675.html

And rule 4-6-1
    Pdf of the rules: http://www.usatf.org/groups/officials/files/resources/rules/2013-NFHS-Rule-Book.pdf

7. macrumors G4

skunk

Ah. I suppose the question then returns to which finger he was using...

8. macrumors 68030

.Andy

Whichever one it appears our texan jogger wasn't as godly as lead to believe.

9. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

While I still think it's a ridiculous rule, it's not some 'war on christianity' as some would have us believe. Apparently the UIL rules which govern this does not allow any celebratory gestures including raising your arms. They say it's an outgrowth of the no taunting rule. :rolleyes:

10. macrumors 68030

.Andy

Apparently combined with a christian display of disrespect towards officials.

11. macrumors 603

thekev

Some of these articles word it as if he flipped off the officials. That seems unlikely. I haven't seen anyone use such a gesture in many years, so it would be weird for a kid to pick that up. I stopped trying to understand Texas long ago.

12. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Officials like to keep a firm grip on things for a reason. Sometimes it seems to the kids that they are being too strict.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22426301

13. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I see no relationship between an athlete who assaults a referee and kids celebrating a win.

14. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

There are rules about excessive celebration, taunting, and good sportsmanship that sometimes seem to be adhered to more strictly than necessary. Unfortunately, these rules have to exist for a reason.

15. thread starter macrumors 6502

Wut? Watch the news cast. It's not a religious link.

16. macrumors 6502a

xShane

No, but I can almost guarantee you that Fox and the right will turn this into the "left's war on Christianity".

17. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's already all over the god forums. Was hard to find any other source when searching.

18. macrumors 68000

mcrain

I would think that all kids who want to participate in sports in Texas should be examined about their belief structure, and any Christians prohibited from participating. It wouldn't be fair to the other students to have students getting help from the deity that seems to be the predominant one down there.

I would think a fair race would only have people who weren't seeking the assistance of an omnipotent being.

19. macrumors G4

skunk

Perhaps there could be similar rules about public displays of triumphalism in general, like after a murder suspect is detained. The "USA! USA! USA!" crowd don't exactly help your image abroad.

20. macrumors 68040

Arran

I think you're misunderstanding Andy. The media is spinning it as a anti-religious story for the knee jerk reaction (clicks) from pro-relogious folks. It's all down to ratings, eyeballs and $$$'s. Fervor makes good business.

Well, if God did help him, then did he really win? And if that's the case, what's there to celebrate?

The last time sport and religion mixed in a non-self-serving way was, I think, the 1924 Paris Olympics. The favorite to win the 100m refused to race on a Sunday and gave up his chance at Olympic gold. Personal sacrifice made willingly on principle - How quaint.

Nowadays winning seems to be all about bragging you're God's favorite! Nothing noble in that.

21. macrumors 68020

Mac'nCheese

22. macrumors 6502

I wish I could say this surprised me. But unfortunately nothing does any more.

23. macrumors 68020

miloblithe

And the mainstream press has realized that this non-story is now over. It wasn't about religion at all.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/offici...got-high-schooler-disqualified-170034775.html

24. macrumors 601

eawmp1

And yet the original article the OP referenced was that he "pointed to the heavens" and DID state it was a religious gesture.

The point as noted above, is that it WAS seized upon by the religious right and exploited. There was always more to the story, but that didn't play to a newsworthy narrative.

25. macrumors 68030

.Andy

Thanks Arran. I didn't think it was too complex a point. Apparently it was for some....

Not surprising. The new form of journalistic link bait that shot all over the web via righteous indignation. Now they can issue a correction or update given have already generated countless page hits.