Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

computerGeorge

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2016

Popular text-based adventure game Lifeline was named Apple's App of the Week, and as a result, it's available to download for free for the first time since it launched in April of 2015.

Lifeline is a text-based game that asks players to make life or death decisions to help navigate Taylor, the protagonist, through the storyline. Written by Dave Justus, the story walks players through the aftermath of a crash landing on the moon of an alien planet.

lifeline-800x706.jpg
What's unique about Lifeline is its realtime gameplay. The story progresses in actual real world time, with the game sending players notifications throughout the day to make decisions about where the storyline should go. Players can answer as the notifications come in or catch up on their own timelines.

Lifeline is also notable because it was one the first games to be made available on the Apple Watch. When notifications come in, players can respond on the Apple Watch or directly from the iPhone's Home screen without needing to open the actual game. Since its release, Lifeline has earned 4.5 stars in the App Store with more than 9,000 reviews.

Lifeline will be available for free from the iOS App Store for the next seven days. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Text-Based Game 'Lifeline' Named App of the Week, Available for Free
[doublepost=1453051388][/doublepost]no mention of the original game behind this: "Deadline" created back in the 80's.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Unless there was more than one "Deadline", "Lifeline" is not at all like that old Infocom game, which like all those old Infocom games were rich in their interactions.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
I'm surprised there hasn't been any knockoffs of it yet. The idea is interesting and could easily be expanded into more genres.

I just finished the game. I agree that there is something interesting playing a text based game with time delay's. It certainly makes more sense having this type of game on your phone as you can be walking around doing your own thing and then have to respond to your lost astronaut. I was disappointed that as I came closer to the end the pace picked up with almost no delay's which for me took away from the suspension of the story.

Good game!

Reactions: Jessica Lares
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.