Text-Based Games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by taquinas, Feb 2, 2005.

1. taquinas macrumors newbie

Any recommendations for an application with which to create a text-based adventure game ("interactive fiction")? I have no previous programming experience so I'm looking for something that would be easy to learn/use. Also, I'd like to write it on Mac OS X, but ideally would be playable on Win XP as well?

2. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

you could try basic.

realbasic is one option where you can make both os x and windows executables.

BlitzMax is another option. I don't think it will make .exe-files just yet, but I believe it's on the agenda.

both should be easy to get into.

realbasic.com
    blitzmax.com

3. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Why not try Java? It's command-line interface is pretty robust and it's basically cross-platform right out of the box.

Then again ... I'm a Java geek. :)

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Try using DGD as the compiler for your LPC written code.

5. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

If you're only interested in writing interactive fiction (and don't plan on writing any other types of programs), you could go with a specialized language like Inform or TADS. It makes the job a lot easier, since it is designed specifically for text-based games there are interpreters for just about every OS that has ever existed.

An OS X compiler for Inform games is available; the last time I checked TADS games could only be written in classic (but can be played on OS X).

6. ColdFlame87 macrumors regular

I know of a card based game creator that requires absolutely no programming knowledge you can make pretty good text based games with buttons as options check it out at http://www.silvernetwork.net/silvercreator/ Hope that helps :D

7. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

as a poster above said, if you just want to write text adventures, you should learn some code that is made for that. inform is probably the most common, as it is what all the classic infocom adventures were written in.
    also mentioned was TADS which is fairly popular.

personally, i like ALAN a lot. i can't seem to remember if there is an OSX compiler (i believe there is, as if i'm not mistaken, the creator is a huge mac fan). however, if you have access to a windows PC, i suggest using ALAN on that, as an entire ALAN "studio" (for lack of a better word) has been written, which handles just about everything you need to do and helps you through it.

8. freiheit macrumors 6502a

I like Rexx, myself

I'm quite fond of the Rexx script language (originally developed by IBM for mainframes, later brought to the PC in OS/2, and now available from other sources for virtually every OS in existence (including MacOS X). Try Regina Rexx from http://regina-rexx.sourceforge.net/. It's a good, general purpose scripting language, quite a lot like BASIC.

However if you plan to distribute compiled code which others cannot read/edit, Rexx is not your best option. Go with one of the specialized text adventure utilities already mentioned, or with Java as another good general purpose, cross-platform language.

9. cyanide macrumors regular

cyanide

WELL I THINK...

I THINK YOU SHOULD LEARN C++ blah blah.. no dont. well do if you want, but not for this. try applescript. its super easy and fast to boot. oh wait you said winxp comp. hmm... have you ever thought of writing it in HTML? that would be an excellent choice so that ANYONE could play your game. if you need any html help give me a pm and we can talk pointers.