text edit help!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dorqiekat, Jul 6, 2004.

1. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

In word, they show the pages. Like If you want to leave a page blank, you can enter all the way down to the next page. How do you do that on text edit? Is it possible? Would you have to guess? Guessing something like this wouldnt be good after you print your research essay and it all comes out off by half a page.. :confused:

........help!

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Do a print, then use preview to see how many pages.

3. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yes, that'll work, but is Text Edit the only word processing app you have access to?

5. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have ms office x, but it's the trial version. So, I don't want to use or get used to using it. I'd rather learn how to use the text edit than get used to word. My trial is ending anyway. I was thinking about buying it, but if I can get all the stuff I need in text edit, then why spend the money that I don't have. :p It is a bit frustrating to try use a new program when I have office, something I'm familiar with.

6. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh

If i am understanding you're question correctly, you do not have the wrap to page option checked in textedit. Under format, check wrap to page, and then you will see pages as they are needed, so there is no more guessing where the page ends will occur.

If anyone knows if there is page break key in textedit I would be thankful.

PS. if you are using textedit as a word processor (I do most of the time) I would suggest downloading Nisus thesaurus. This will give you a dictionary/thesaurus that works in the application (like apples built-in dictionary, but more powerful than just telling you if you spelt the word right or wrong.

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

If you don't have the money, and want to include things like page numbers in your documents, why not download Neoffice/J? It works great for basic (and even fairly advanced) word processing.

Here's a link to the download page.

8. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You could also use Open Office for word processing although you'll also have to install X11.

In word I would suggest intserting a page break instead of pressing enter until you get a new page. Much simpler.

9. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

I went to download.com and they didnt have it there. Where would I get it? Does anyone know how to make textedit correct capitalization after every period and "i" to "I" automatically?

10. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is open office a replica of msoffice for windows? It looks exactly like what my word looked like when I had windows. It also said I need x11, what is that?

11. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh