Text extraction help

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by etnad, May 3, 2013.

1. etnad, May 3, 2013
    Last edited: May 3, 2013

macrumors newbie

Hello and thanks in advance I hope someone can suggest an Apple script to solve this problem:

I need to extract parts of text located in various files which are in various different folders all contained in one Folder as such:

Folder Main contains Folder A Folder B Folder C and so on where the various files are. Folder Main is always the one where I need to find my files.

Each plain text UTF8 file has the same structure no matter in which folder it is.

A - Some text of various length
    B - this exact unique sequence in every file in every folder: CR Student_ID tab tab CR. this sequence marks the beginning or the text I need-
    C - the relevant part I need after the sequence CR Student_ID tab tab CR till the End of Each file. The length can change but it is not relevant as I need everything till the end of each file-

How can I write a script which will only return a text file with only "part C" in each file within the various folders?

The text : CR Student_ID tab tab CR does not appear anywhere else in the files. therefore it could be a starting point for extracting the text all the way to the end of each file

Thanks a lot for any help I am unable to solve this problem

2. macrumors 6502

I don't think you need an apple script to do this. Here is how I would do it.

Open a terminal.
    cd to your Main folder. Ex:
    Code:
    cd /Users/yourname/Documents/folder/

Now we want to use find to locate your files.

Code:
    find ./ -name "*somecommonterm*" -exec sed -n -e '/CR Student_ID//,$p' {} \;
    This command just looked for your files and then printed everything after the search term and printed it to the screen. if you want it to write out to a file, then..

Code:
    find ./ -name "*somecommonterm*" -exec sed -n -e '/CR Student_ID//,$p' {} \; > outfile
    This will overwrite every time you find a new file so use >> outfile to have all your results go to one file.

-Big Dave

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks ...