Text Messages Not Making Notification Sounds....

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jsquared, Aug 8, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

jsquared

Anyone else having this problem? Sometimes I'll get a text and it won't make the sound. What's up with that? The wierd thing is that it will work all day then start not making a sound. Anyway to fix this?

2. macrumors 68020

benflick

join the club. (meaning, it happens to many People) i would think it's not a hardware issue, just a mere software problem that will most likely be fixed in later software versions, so dont worry:) do a simple restart/restore and that will usually work

3. macrumors regular

I have noticed it happens when I'm using the headphones, the ringtone for calls goes to the headphones and speaker but texts just go to the headphones.

4. macrumors 65816

andyblila

I have the same issue. Works all day and then all of a sudden stops. I just cycle the power and it works again. Doesn't do it every day though. I think that we forget it's a computer and occasionally needs a reboot.

5. macrumors member

Yup, I'm in the same boat along with the lock/unlock sounds doing the same thing.

6. macrumors regular

AlphaBob

I had the problem you guys are describing AFTER I changed from the default sound. When I put it back to the default value I started getting alerts when SMS arrived.

7. macrumors 6502a

yup, almost everyone I know has seen this happen even with the 2.01 and even after restores / hard boots, force killing SMS, etc.

Best thing to do, wait till this thread gets to 3 pages and put a link to it when you fill out the feedback form at www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

8. macrumors regular

I'll help you out with those 3 pages, im in the same boat on SMS sounds :(

9. macrumors 6502

yogamonkey

Same here. Incoming SMS, no noise, no vibration. Meh.

10. macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

+1

This problem has been bugging me since the get go, and tonight I finally got annoyed by it enough to look into it online. So add me to the list. :mad:

11. macrumors 6502

Add another to the list. The same thing happens to me, but it's fine after I reboot the phone. It doesn't do it often though. Maybe once a day or every few days. We gotta remember it is a little computer so it does need to be rebooted every now and then.

12. macrumors regular

Good point. My girlfriend's 3G loses SMS notification every week or so, but a simple reboot does the trick.

13. macrumors newbie

Identical situ here as well. Tried restoring the phone thinking that might help but after the 2hrs to restore same issue still occurs. Boooooooooo!

14. macrumors newbie

I get the same thing after 10-20 texts.

SMS stops making alerts.

Lock sounds stop working.

Etc.

Been happening since 2.0. Still happens on 2.0.2.

Very annoying. I use SMS as my primary means of communication.

15. macrumors newbie

Text message sounds/notifications not working

Hello all,
    Please add me to this list. I too have noticed it happens after using headphones, but plugging them back in and removing them and restarting the iPhone doesn't work. Add me to this solutions list if possible.

16. macrumors newbie

Same problem here. Make the sound when I send. No sound when I receive.