1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Text messaging Mexico or England from US?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by majordude, Sep 17, 2008.

1. macrumors 68020

majordude

Is there a trick to text messaging friends overseas from my iPhone? I tried texting Mexico and it bounced. I know the phone number is valid.

2. macrumors member

You want to make sure you put + then the country code then area code when sending internationally.

Example: If you are in Mexico sending to US you would put +15553339999 (1 is US country code)

3. macrumors 68030

The + isn't it. If you're using a number internationally, you need to use "011 <country code> <city code> <number>" for texting, just as you do calling. Canada may be different, as they still go off of the area code we normally use.

In fact, Mexico is 011 52 1 <area code> <number>, while Canada is still 1 <area code> <number>.

BL.

4. macrumors 6502a

millar876

for the UK try +44 or 0044 and omit the first 0 from the number. i.e. 07********* would become +447*********.

I had an ATT sim in my old Moto D900 whilst visiting florida and thats how i sent messages to my friends back home

5. macrumors 68020

majordude

Hmmm. I think I tried that too. I'd give it another go.

6. macrumors 68030

I know that they list how to dial it in the front of your local phone book, so you may want to have a look at that, if you have one near you.

BL.

7. macrumors 68020

majordude

They still publish those things?! :rolleyes: