Text recognition

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by j26, Jun 13, 2005.

1. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Hi,

I have been given a job of converting a 200+ page scanned document into text format and I'm not exactly the greatest typist in the world.

Are there any software packages that will help me do it by converting the imaged documents that I will be receiving into editable text, so that I can work with them? I had a program on an old windows pc (long dead) that recognised text and converted it into rich text format.

Ideally I'd like something free, but if there was a cheap one out there, I'd pick it up. Non-microsoft if at all possible.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

2. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Hey I noticed your signature, that you want to offload your old pc laptop, I might be interested, what are the specs?

PS: sorry to go off topic.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Well, Omnipage is the gold standard, but at $499, it's priced that way too. Readiris Pro 9 is only $129, but I've never used it. I used Omnipage a LOT back in the day. Worked okay, but still required extensive proofreading.

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

You could try turning on voice recognition and read it to your Mac.

Homonyms will be a problem, though. Eeep!

Or, hire someone to do it for you?
    (Oh man, I need a job badly! I'd even be willing to do it! haha)

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

How did you get the document onto the computer? Generally the scanner software includes a free version of recognition software. :)

6. j26 thread starter macrumors 65832

j26

I'm in Ireland, so shipping could be a problem, but it's gone anyway to my niece.
    <updates signature> Sorry for not updating

7. j26 thread starter macrumors 65832

j26

I have no idea how it got scanned. I just have the documents in front of me now, so I just have to deal with it, unfortunately. I was just given the job. :( :(

8. j26 thread starter macrumors 65832

j26

Unfortunately it's in a different language (Irish) so I'd say the mac would have a great time trying to interpret it :D

I don't have the money to pay someone. This needs to be done on the cheap. If the money was there, I'd be able to get the pricier software.

If anyone has any ideas for how to do it on a pc, I'll do that, as I can get access to a pc to do it.

Help!!!

9. macapple macrumors member

10. macapple macrumors member