Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Smile Software has released TextExpander 5.1.2 with a fix for OS X El Capitan-related crashing on launch and other minor bug fixes and improvements. The update is free for all users running TextExpander 5 or later.

TextExpander-5.jpg

TextExpander is a popular typing utility for Mac that can expand custom keystroke shortcuts into frequently-used text and pictures. The tool can insert text ranging from email signatures to paragraphs, automatically fix typos, autocomplete forms and more.
What's new in 5.1.2:
Addresses El Capitan related crash on launch
Other minor fixes and improvements

What's New in Version 5:
Suggests snippets from phrases you habitually type
Reminds you of missed opportunities to use your abbreviations
Customize snippet file location
Sync via iCloud Drive or any sync folder
Simplified expansion of lengthy fill-ins and scripts
Search and expand snippets, abbreviations, and suggestions inline as you type
Preview expanded snippet
Refreshed statistics display
Supports JavaScript snippets that also operate on iOS
Updated for Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite (required)

TextExpander 5 is $44.95 with a free trial available, or $19.95 for users upgrading from a previous version.

Article Link: TextExpander 5 Updated to Fix Crashing on OS X El Capitan and Other Bugs

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I like seeing these just because I keep an informal running total in my head of how often existing applications are broken by new OSX/iOS versions (hint: it's quite often). And it reminds me why I don't immediately (or ever) upgrade Apple's operating systems. Even ignoring the backwards compatibility issues, it's been years since they made a new OS that was hands-down better than what it was replacing.

So anyway, when the frequency of these types of articles dies down is how I know it's a reasonable time to finally upgrade a device/machine.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
I'm not complaining but I would just like to know why this justifies a news story and the other half a dozen apps that I've had updated this week don't.

Archipella Studios

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2015

Smile Software has released TextExpander 5.1.2 with a fix for OS X El Capitan-related crashing on launch and other minor bug fixes and improvements. The update is free for all users running TextExpander 5 or later.

TextExpander-5.jpg

TextExpander is a popular typing utility for Mac that can expand custom keystroke shortcuts into frequently-used text and pictures. The tool can insert text ranging from email signatures to paragraphs, automatically fix typos, autocomplete forms and more.

TextExpander 5 is $44.95 with a free trial available, or $19.95 for users upgrading from a previous version.

Article Link: TextExpander 5 Updated to Fix Crashing on OS X El Capitan and Other Bugs

Archipella Studios

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2015
Though I am content with the basic functionality of this app, a $19.95 update seems really stiff for a $44.95 product and loyal customers. It implies that the company / software has a limited fan base if you get my drift? The incompatibility with El Capitan can be resolved with a service update rather than a mandatory upgrade. I've been getting bombarded with update prompts for version 5 for months now touting features that I don't care about nor utilize. The software has a contained feature set. Not pleased with this situation at all.....

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
No offence to the developer, but doesn't OS X already have most of this functionality in text shortcuts anyway? Try typing "omw" and you'll see what I mean.

Reactions: Kr15 and Galley

Galley

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
No offence to the developer, but doesn't OS X already have most of this functionality in text shortcuts anyway? Try typing "omw" and you'll see what I mean.
I had been using a similar text expanding app for years, but it also had ridiculous upgrade fees for minor improvements. I now use OS X's text shortcut feature and it does nearly everything I want.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Textexpander has many more options than what OS X alone offers.
  • You can choose between direct expansion or expansion only after typing a delimiter (ie, you could set it to only expand omv after typing, eg, "omv;". Which allows you to type omv without it expanding if you leave off the delimiter.
  • You can require a trigger character that must precede the abbreviation for it to be filled in.
  • You can set certain expansions only to work in one app (or a list of apps) but not in all the other apps. Or you can set it to expand in all apps except a particular one.
  • You add variables to the expansion: you type the abbreviation, a small pop-up window shows with fields to fill in. You could create a form letter where you type the abbreviation, then fill then variables (eg, the name of a person) and it spits out the text with the name filled in multiple locations.
  • Abbreviations can be case sensitive or not.
  • The abbreviations can by synced to other computers and iOS devices (where you must switch to the TextExpander keyboard for them to be active). On iOS devices, typing out things like email addresses repeatedly can be a chore which can be speeded up a lot with this.
  • You can group abbreviations to apply the above settings easily to a group of them at once.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I had been using a similar text expanding app for years, but it also had ridiculous upgrade fees for minor improvements. I now use OS X's text shortcut feature and it does nearly everything I want.
Same here. I occasionally use TextExpander for some multi-line text such as Evernote templates or Craigslist advertisements, but Textexpander 4 is good for that. So far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.