Tha new G4

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by modyouup, Mar 6, 2002.

1. modyouup macrumors member

Jan 18, 2002
    I got some questions bout the new g4 model. The one that's $3899. It says 80GBx2. What is that? Does that mean it has two hard drives that are 80GB each? And what is the difference between a GeForce 4 Titanium and GeForce 4 MX?

someone reply please!
  2. mischief macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2001
    Santa Cruz Ca

2 count: ATA 66, 80Gb HD.

GF4MX is a GF2 on crack.

GF4 Ti is something technophiles have lusty xxx rated dreams about.
  3. dualburn001 macrumors regular

Feb 21, 2002
    yes it does mean thier are 2 80 gb hard drives

and the ti is a much more advanced version of the mx.
    The mx is like a hybrid of geforce 2/4.,23008,3371045,00.html
    here techtv did a good comparisin and im just to lazy to type it all

And on a personal note if your'e not doing anything major go for the low end with a radeon 7500
  4. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!

I want a Superdrive in all G4 models!! I know I can get a BTO from Apple, but theey really jack up the price. I want a Superdrive in a Pro Computer for less than $2K
  5. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002

The iMac doesn't satisfy my power needs. I know it has a G4 processor, but it also has a GeForce 2MX, and I need more video speed. I guess I'll just have to be satisfied with my Quicksilver 733 with 12x10x32 for now. BTW what are the speeds of the CD burners in the new Apples?? I've seen 32x writers on the market now, but that just can't get the RW over 10x, must have something to do with the UNwriting process??
  6. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Re: Pro

The tower is probly faster than the iMac 800.
  7. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    Trade In?

At first I thought about trading in my G4 733 for a 800 iMac, but I realized I would probably get only 1200 for it, and also that the new iMac was almost non-upgradeable (as far as power goes), and was slower anyway. I want a Superdrive, but not that bad.
  8. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA

Plextor has a 40x12x40 drive that should be available in a firewire enclosure soon. Great drives, great price.
  9. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    Re: Trade In?

super close one..but i would keep pro tower so you can expand...notice how blurred the lines are these days btwn pro and consumer
  10. Beej macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2002
    Buffy's bedroom

The CD-RW is:
    24x write
    10x rewrite
    32x read

The DVD-ROM/CD-RW is:
    8x read DVD
    12x write CD
    8x rewrite CD
    32 read CD

The DVD-R/CD-RW (SuperDrive) is:
    2x write DVD
    6x read DVD
    8x write CD
    4x rewrite CD
    24x read CD

Kind of sucks that the best technology also happens to be the slowest at everything (except DVD-R). Still a mean piece of machinery though!
  11. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Jan 19, 2002
    Re: Superdrive

Well, that's nice and all, but I burn about 100 cds a week, and the difference in time between my 24x burner, and using a SuperDrive (at 8x), would cost me hours. I know its a nice peice of hardware, but how many of you are really burning DVDs? I certainly don't want a ~$300 premium assessed for a MANDATORY drive which I'll use only after X-Mas & vacation...

I know I could get a FireWire burner, but my NEW G4 cost me $1305 delivered 3 weeks ago (QS 733 .edu). Could that be done with a SuperDrive?

For those out there with SuperDrives, how many DVDs have you burned?
  12. arn macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Re: Re: Superdrive

I own a Dual 800 with Superdrive... and have burned more DVD's than I would have thought initially.. The key is to realize it's also a 4.7 gig DVD-R...

I've burned about 5 video DVD's... converted old VHS, one wedding that I videotaped...

... and about 10-15 DVD-R's... for data... so if you are burning 100 CD's a week of data... that about 15 DVD-R's a week.