Thank God for TiVo

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by DrStrangelove, Mar 26, 2006.

1. DrStrangelove macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

This is the second night in the past three days-- we can't get our daughter to sleep. She's 3 and usually has no problems. Anyway, so Soprano's is out for this evening- but it's TiVo'd up for tomorrow night.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I have ReplayTV, but I know exactly what you mean. Well, no daughter. And I don't watch Sopranos. But it's such an amazing thing. :)

3. DrStrangelove thread starter macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

I've never seen Replay-- I know of it-- but never saw it. Do you know how it compares to Tivo? A harddrive is a harddrive so I'm talking software-- is the experience supposed to be better/worse?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think it's a wash... Replay had (admittedly through open source hackery) the ability to download shows to a computer a loooong time ago, and I wanted this capability. But now, I think the TiVo package, with support for iTunes is probably nicer. The ReplayTV had the ability to operate wholly via ethernet, without needing a phone line, as well. This was a big purchase issue for me, since I have no landline. :eek: I think, otherwise, TiVo's software is probably slightly better. People say it (TiVo) is more intuitive.

But then there's the question about the long term future of the two companies... in that sense, now, in hindsight, I think TiVo is more effectively latching onto other sources of revenue, like a good little leech. :)

5. DrStrangelove thread starter macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

You're right and Tivo just signed (well, not just but not too long ago) a huge deal with comcast after losing the directv account.

You can now do all of that stuff with Tivo by the way. But they're all hacks.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh, I know you can, *now*. But now I have a lifetime Replay subscription, FWIW... :eek:

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmmmmm... I really need to explore burning DVDs off my iMac with my ReplayTV recordings.

8. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I miss my TiVo. Oh well, teaches time mangement. :p

9. DrStrangelove thread starter macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

Are you sure? The think I love about my Tivo is it excuses me from time management. 80% of my day is about managing time-- Tivo allows me to not make my tv viewing part of this process.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I don't have TiVo, but I've got a DVD-R + hard disk recorder combo and it's certainly convenient to use the very passable TV Guide on screen calendar to select things to record.

I know it's got quite a bit of time available on its 160 GB drive because I started to record some basketball the other night when I was busy and it had recorded almost 4 hours when I'd gotten back to it.

It's so convenient.

11. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

This sounds more like what I could see myself buying. Is this a home-grown solution, or did you buy this DVD-R+HD combo off the shelf? Care to name names?

12. DrStrangelove thread starter macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

I wish my Tivo self-cleaned all the junk that I have on there the way that the mods take care of these threads.

To those that edited-- I never intended for this to be anything other than a tivo discussion. :eek:

13. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

eh well I am at college, so you have to give and take.

14. DrStrangelove thread starter macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

Okay, I'll give you that. I often tell people that Tivo has the most accurate slogan/tagline of any product I've ever bought. The notion that "It will change the way you watch TV" is so dead-on accurate.

My wife and I barely had any time for tv- correction- time to get into "shows" as a regular viewing event. With Tivo we've always got 7 or 8 "series" that we're into and what a way to have it find the things you want with wishlists.

You never know what surprises will be waiting for you when you turn it on.

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Toshiba RD0XS34SU, $249, at Big Lots. It's $499 anywhere else. It's not the ultimate but there is no subscription.