Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Thank you for being helpful Yoda, oh superior, great, and enlightened one.

Glad to be of service, I am. :D
[doublepost=1471266930][/doublepost]
View attachment 644795
It's not unreasonable for a person who has an obvious interest in Macs (and OSx86) to post about Windows in an area that's specifically for Windows, Linux and other operating systems.

Umm, the forum is titled, "Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac"

The post was about buying a PC which doesn't have a lot to do with running anything on the Mac.

Reactions: satcomer

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I'm rocking with Windows Anniversary edition and it seems rock solid, though I have a 2015 iMac and not dealing with nvidia. It took me a good part of the weekend, but I made win10 may main OS on my iMac, its running on the SSD portion of my storage, and I have OS X on an external drive right now. Seems smoother and offers a better user experience imo

That is interesting and timely for me to have seen this morning. I just made the same choice after a trial run in which I was very satisfied overall with Windows 10, certainly for gaming and in my own case I am running with an Nvidia 775m on my 27" late-2013 iMac and have not had anything but good experience thus far. I did replace the bootcamp supplied driver with the most current available driver from Nvidia and all is fine here. I wound up doing something simpler which is just to have given 250 GB to OS X El Capitan and 750 GB to Windows 10. For now this is a nice setup I am happy with.

Once I moved a lot of stuff to the cloud and external storage locally and removed a bunch of the too many installed games I found I have ample room in both partitions without feeling constrained.
[doublepost=1471268600][/doublepost]
Thank you for being helpful Yoda, oh superior, great, and enlightened one.

Well, it was true wasn't it? You're welcome.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… I didn't post in the Mac Mini forum because I thought my post was more general and was not appropriate for that forum.

+1
for a considerate starting point, when some of the starting points are out of tune with what's of interest to writers and readers (I have fed back in the appropriate area).

… many of the people on this site, although they are Apple fans, feel the way I do. … leaving Apple behind and building Hackintoshes. Or just going with NUCs.

Mini PC: Intel® NUC, yes? I was looking at stuff like that a few days ago, but the acronym (if that's what it is) wasn't memorable.

… let down by the direction Apple has been moving … disposable computer design … So I went with a PC.

So did I. A few PCs, none bought by me.

… I just bought a new Mac Mini …

I just got a good-as-new 2012 Mac Mini, avoiding the limitations of Apple's more modern design. Bought by me, but not for me.

… more of a pissed off Apple user than I am a PC/Windows fanboy. …a right to post here how I feel about Apple and how I deal with Apple's strategy.

I was similarly off for a few months. Apple's bulldozing, of a few very important things, spelt the end of my time with AppleSeed.

Last but not least: thank heavens I paid nothing for a Time Machine server that runs without Apple hardware, instead of buying a Time Capsule.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Please keep in mind that old Yoda here is just wanting to be helpful. I did a quick search for some forums all about PC hardware I thought you guys might enjoy checking out to discuss all things PC related, building PCs, components, etc.

http://www.cnet.com/forums/pc-hardware/

https://forums.anandtech.com/

https://hardforum.com/

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-31.html

I am simply suggesting these forums as additional places to get your PC on and not implying anything else just so we do not misunderstand one another. I do think going on about PC hardware in a Mac hardware forum that's purpose is to be a home for discussion of running other operating systems on Mac hardware is a little out of place though and yes, that did prompt me to make this suggestion.

Feel free to feedback to the appropriate area if you think this attempt to stay on topic in this forum is somehow out of tune with what is of interest to writers and readers here.

Reactions: grahamperrin

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
I always appreciate steering, especially when URLs are offered. [H]ard|Forum was new to me but not of interest.

I'll continue at MacRumors Forums because so many other Mac users/switchers do so; and because whilst I'm switching away from Apple products, I'm still very much a Mac user at heart; and I'm often first line support for Macs; and so on. Things here are nearly always pertinent, or simply interesting.

Reactions: Dirtyharry50

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
I always find it amusing with these kind of threads, for the headline gives it all away what the intent of the thread is going to be like. I've been using, repairing and even building my own computers for over 35 years now. I have at times gotten so carried away with what new computer components that I can put in the computer that I forgot the true purpose of what a computer is for. Then about 6 years ago I went back to college to get a degree in Computer Graphics and that changed my way of thinking about a computers in general. A computer is nothing more than another tool, just as paint, a paintbrush and a canvas is to an artist. A person can do the same thing on a PC just as well as they can on an Apple, as a matter of fact before I switched over a couple of years ago that is all I used was a PC. I prefer Apple now for my iMac forces me to concentrate what is really important whereas a PC has me tinkering around with it too much at times. That is my reason for sticking with Apple, plus my father is 89 and still uses computers which makes him having an iMac computer easier on me. It's simpler for him to use and I don't have to constantly answer questions that I do with a PC. Anyways, if the OP is happy buying a windows pc then all I can say after all this rambling from me is "good for him", but his opinion and you know what they say about opinions. ;)

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I always appreciate steering, especially when URLs are offered. [H]ard|Forum was new to me but not of interest.

I'll continue at MacRumors Forums because so many other Mac users/switchers do so; and because whilst I'm switching away from Apple products, I'm still very much a Mac user at heart; and I'm often first line support for Macs; and so on. Things here are nearly always pertinent, or simply interesting.

I can very much relate to that and feel similarly. I am planning to replace my iMac in the future with a Falcon Northwest gaming PC which of course can run anything else I want to as well. That really is for my own purposes the ideal desktop that will do it all for me with one computer. I've wanted one of those systems for many years now as I've always settled for midrange something or other. This was why I was and still am for now okay with my iMac for the games I am playing but it will be nice after so much time to finally have something high end and be back to having something I can upgrade so I get a long life out of it overall for the money.

Even though it is not a need, I wish I could also justify a Mac Mini (hopefully refreshed) to go with it or perhaps a MacBook but I think that has to do with simply liking the macOS and Apple hardware for pretty much every else aside of gaming. Given that the same apps I use for the most part are in Windows too though and that I am not made of money I don't know as i'll do that even though if money was no object I'd like to.

So I truly do like Apple stuff myself and still come here as such even as my interest in what is going on with desktops begins to wane. I love my iPad Pro 9.7. The thing is awesome but I use it for consumption and skipped the keyboard and for now the pen but I may spring for that later. It was so useful to me recently when I was working on the iMac setting up triple boot, royally screwing it up while i was learning what I was doing, etc. I went back to the setup I described above ultimately but it was a fun exercise and learning experience. I used to use UNIX for work years ago so I like to have a look at Linux from time to time just for fun. Next time I'll go the free Virtual Box route instead for toying with that.

I like my new iPhone SE a lot also. It was such a nice upgrade from the 4s it replaced. I've been happy with my previous generation Apple TV as well. The new one didn't impress me. Maybe the next one will. I'm also a fan of Apple Music despite some issues with it, namely related to iCloud which is an Apple product needing quite a lot of attention in my own opinion.

So I like to pop in here also and just keep tabs on whatever is going on despite where I am headed insofar as my desktop computer goes. I also wish Apple would make and sell a model that was suitable for higher end gaming and was user accessible for upgrading but I don't see them doing that unfortunately.

I am of the opinion that it is a real shame they turned the Mac Pro into a coke can and a bigger shame that they don't make something like the older Mac Pros but scaled for consumer use that could be less expensive as such and great for gaming on either operating system, macOS or Windows or both. If they ever do that I'd be all over it probably but again, what are the odds?

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
@Dirtyharry50 much of that goes over my head (lost interest in most Apple product developments, and so on) but it's worth a thumbs-up. Thanks.

Today I brought home a MacBookPro11,2 with 16 GB memory and a 256 MB solid state drive. Probably for me to use for the next few years, if I want it. Until this evening, I had completely forgotten that …

… last time I was offered a MacBookPro11,2 (probably in 2015, when a few were spare), I rejected Apple's fabulous hardware because of Apple's operating system. I don't expect people to agree with my sense of what's wrong with the OS (explanations are splattered over the forums) but … I guess I'm trying to say this:
  • both @tokyodan and I are seasoned Mac users who have no regrets about rejecting or avoiding Apple's current state of things
– and we're not shy about writing about it.

Now, I might get hammered for putting my words in someone else's mouth (!) so I'm prepared to re-word that, if tokyodan objects.

Reactions: tokyodan

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Fanboy alert lol windows is pretty great

I'd have to agree where I've been using it a lot lately, Windows 10 that is. I've been running Windows off and on since I was going back and forth between Windows/286 and DesqView. Remember that product? It was pretty cool. Of course, before that multitasking if you will consisted of running various TSR (terminate and stay resident) apps on MS-DOS like the once famous Borland Side-Kick which was quite the awesome little set of apps once upon a time. Life on PCs sure has come a long, long way since then.

It's a little hard for me to put a finger on and articulate but somehow I just like macOS better overall. It's design seems to promote a smoother workflow somehow, at least for me. It's not a huge thing compared to Windows anymore but still it is something I'm noticing a bit as I adjust to being in Windows 10 most of the time now.

On the other hand though, I'm finding Windows 10 to be intuitive overall despite some dumb choices like two Microsoft web browsers instead of one although I don't use either of them anyway as the default which Cortana ignores if I ask her to look up something. Cortana is all about using Edge regardless of what I want to use. Not a big deal really but in my mind it's a case of how in some ways Microsoft never seems to learn to respect user choice completely. It is also dumb that system settings are split between a settings app at the top level of the Start Menu and a Control Panel app which has stuff not available in the Settings app that is buried in the all apps menu within the Start menu. That's easily fixed by making it a tile, etc. so it is handy but why they didn't just incorporate all system settings into one settings app is beyond me. I'd hope they will fix stuff like that over time and probably they will. Again, this stuff is not a huge deal but ways in which it is still rough around the edges.

What Windows does get right is system stability, a greater selection of cross platform apps than used to be the case and a variety of nice little features I won't bother listing out here. Besides what I consider a nice little feature might not matter to somebody else and some other feature i don't care about might be important to them. In any event, it isn't lacking for features.

Another thing I noticed right away is how Windows finally gets automated network and internet connectivity setup right out of the box. I installed and was online without needing to screw around with it.

I think the UI looks pretty nice too now. It's easily configurable, includes themes with many more a click away online and the Start menu is simple to customize to your liking. I actually like the way it is setup now between the tiles for stuff I want easy access to and the taskbar for stuff I want quick access to available all of the time.

I got into all this just to point out that I don't think as of today that blanket statements about Windows being horrible are justified or accurate and this comes from someone who prefers macOS but not by a lot anymore. I see them as both being good at this point. I don't think anybody needs to hate one to like the other but to each their own.

Last but not least, Microsoft does deserve a lot of credit for the attention they pay to backward compatibility. I can still play games made well over a decade ago without a problem in Windows 10. On the other hand, recent OS X upgrades broke a lot of titles from Aspyr that were nowhere near as old, such as Black OPS, C&C Generals and I forget what else. Likewise, various indies or whatever one might buy on Steam had best be played while they are fresh because they are likely to break in a future OS update but those guys don't do fixes for Mac users over time more often than not. This is something Windows users don't have to deal with nearly so much as Mac users.

So each system has its good and not so good points to it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd have to agree where I've been using it a lot lately, Windows 10
Same here, Windows has definitely come a long way, and in some respects OS X has regressed. I still enjoy OS X, but I think win10 not only caught up, but surpassed apple in a number of ways. I'm finding myself in Windows more often then in OS X at this point. Because of that, I've rebuilt my iMac to have windows as the primary partition

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
Same here, Windows has definitely come a long way, and in some respects OS X has regressed. I still enjoy OS X, but I think win10 not only caught up, but surpassed apple in a number of ways. I'm finding myself in Windows more often then in OS X at this point. Because of that, I've rebuilt my iMac to have windows as the primary partition

Would you mind telling me how you did that? Is it as simple as rightclick - make this the primary partition or do you need a special app for it?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Would you mind telling me how you did that? Is it as simple as rightclick - make this the primary partition or do you need a special app for it?
For what ever reason, it was not very simple.
See this thread Boot camp issues - fusion drive that was defused Basically, Bootcamp was causing me headaches not letting me to setup a windows partition on my primary partition.

I ended up following these instructions (which are not hard) to configure and prep the entire internal SSD for Windows
Bootcamp Windows 10 from External Drive? Post #87

Basically, following those steps, I was able to get windows on the entire internal SSD, I have no recovery partition on the drive and its all windows. I'm in windows most of the day, though there are some apps I still use in OS X. I'm looking at setting up some webpages for work, and I want to try using blocs (which is an OS X web creation tool) to build those pages, so I'm in OS X this morning, but mostly because of work, I'm in windows.

Reactions: frankgrimes

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
thank you so very much for this I know I sound like a newbie but it looks like the MBP will be my first Mac soon and setting up partitions is key for me.

On desktop it's easy ssd for speed, hdd for movies, music and pictures

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
thank you so very much for this I know I sound like a newbie but it looks like the MBP will be my first Mac soon and setting up partitions is key for me.
There's no reason why you'd need to go through the steps I did, AFAIK, as bootcamp will split up your internal partition.

Are you looking to run Windows completely or still have an OS X partition?

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
There's no reason why you'd need to go through the steps I did, AFAIK, as bootcamp will split up your internal partition.

Are you looking to run Windows completely or still have an OS X partition?
I'm looking to run Windows completely because MacOS is too complicated for me. It will be a Win7 / Linux Mint dual boot

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm looking to run Windows completely because MacOS is too complicated for me. It will be a Win7 / Linux Mint dual boot
If bootcamp will let you repartition definitely go that route, if not then use the steps in this post #87 While its directed towards those installing windows on an external drive, I found it fully functional for the internal drive.

Also you'll want the bootcamp drivers, which you'll need to download manually if you forgo the Bootcamp process. I found out that if you open up bootcamp assistant, click continue once, and then hit the back button, you're presented with this screen - just select the middle option and create yourself a copy of the latest drivers (for Windows).
Capto_Capture 2016-08-22_10-57-40_AM.png

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX

I just use my old 2011 iMac as my general computing and photo editing device now. The 5K iMac is a beautiful machine, but it was much more cost effective to put a 480GB SSD into my iMac to speed it up, then build a decent gaming PC for, well, gaming. $2500 just to get an iMac with decent graphics "umph" was just too much for me.

Plus, when I eventually upgrade my 2011 iMac, I can probably get away with the base GPU on a new 5K iMac and get flash storage.

Despite what the overly dramatic fanboys say, Windows 10 is great. Nice modern clean look, stable, and easy to use.

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
If bootcamp will let you repartition definitely go that route, if not then use the steps in this post #87 While its directed towards those installing windows on an external drive, I found it fully functional for the internal drive.

Also you'll want the bootcamp drivers, which you'll need to download manually if you forgo the Bootcamp process. I found out that if you open up bootcamp assistant, click continue once, and then hit the back button, you're presented with this screen - just select the middle option and create yourself a copy of the latest drivers (for Windows).
View attachment 646073
thank you so much, that's very helpful :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.