thank you coward virus/worm poster

Discussion in 'macOS' started by M-theory, Feb 17, 2006.

1. M-theory macrumors 6502

M-theory

I think we should all thank the idiot who posted the virus/worm whatever you want to call it...

why?

* it shows exactly why OS X is better than windows/linux/unix/etc...the fact that a malicious script cannot be used unless the user is running as root, which for those people who got infected, have now learned.

* it shows that you have to give permission, enter the admin password, for a worm to run

Any OS can be 'infected' if you allow it...

ps it is also difficult to feel sorry for someone that entered a root password for opening a .jpeg

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

no this shows why OSes are not idiot proof from their users.

"Lets double click this random file i found on a website."

2 hrs later

"OMGBBQ where did my home directory go, virus!!!!!11111oneone11!!!"

3. frenetic macrumors regular

I am no unix expert at all, but...
    First, OSX is just a variant of unix (just like linux is), so your first sentence is already utterly bizarre.
    Second, you mistake root for administrator... they are two different things.
    Three, the people that were running as administrator did not have to give their administrator password... they just doubleclicked the file and off it went. So before you judge people you better get your facts straight.

4. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

To: OSX virus guy
    Re: Kingsly

Why? Why did you spend your precious time on gods earth making a virus that can (rather poorly) infect Mac OSX? Thrills? My friend if thats what turns you on I would suggest tying a rope to your ceiling fan and jumping off your computer. Other than proving some cocky person wrong who claims that, no matter what, OSX cannot contract a virus I don't see why you would do such a thing.
    A) Its illegal
    B) Its mean. People store their lives on computers nowadays, and hackers like you destroy that just because its funny/exciting/etc. All it serves to prove is that you are an extremely insecure person who is also extremely immature. I know that because the only way to deal with your insecurities is to make yourself bigger and more powerful than others by doing something to a computer at another's expense. Rapists are the same way. They need to feel more powerful than someone else, and the only one they are capable of being more powerful than is a woman.
    -Kingsly

5. M-theory thread starter macrumors 6502

M-theory

though graphic, well said, and I agree, what's the point? of all things to do with your finite amount of time alive...just go hang yourself and make the world a better place.

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Come on, do you do this when people do it for XP(NO) get over it and stop crying

I don't like it but all means is we have to be careful

7. Uma888 macrumors 6502

OS X is built upon Unix, What you have said contradicts this

When was the last time you heard of a linux based virus?

Eventually a virus/s will be released for the macintosh platform, theres nothing you or apple can do.

To the vrius writer:

Well done, You shook apples boots

/rant

8. M-theory thread starter macrumors 6502

M-theory

...really? OSX is just a variant of unix?

...see above quote by eva01...

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yes, absolutely.

The default OS X user belongs to the Unix group admin, which gives it access to the affected directory. The UID assigned to the files therein is also typically that of the admin user, hence the problem. Do you understand how Unix users and groups work?

10. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

To: people who managed to contract this virus
    Re: Kingsly

YOU IDIOT!!!!!!! No matter what NEVER DOWNLOAD random files off the internet and blindly open them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    When you download photos that are .tgz, its probably not a good sign. Its common knowledge. Don't download anything unless you know EXACTLY what it is. And by all means, when a .jpg asks for a password, DONT GIVE IT!!:mad:
    Have a nice day.
    -Kingsly

11. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

to: kingsly

because i can, and to wipe that smug look off your face.

yours truely,
    osx virus gal

12. jer2eydevil88 macrumors regular

jer2eydevil88

Unix and Linux are not variants of one another: Linux is a total kernel rewrite that can be built to look and feel like Unix. Also Linux and most software in Linux is published under the GPL which provides software writers a safe way to share Open Source software.

OS X is built on top of Unix which means that Apple **Pays** (or paid a lifetime fee) for that license. Darwin is the Open source base of OS X built on top of Unix and thanks to Apple its free for anyone to try out.

There are probably a few inconsistencies in my reply but for the most part this information is accurate.

13. M-theory thread starter macrumors 6502

M-theory

don't want to get into a big argument about this, but though built on top of unix, I don't think it is a 'unix variant'.

yes, I understand how users and groups work, which is why I don't, and no one should use the admin account as the 'default'...the writer is exploiting the users and not the OS.

14. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Read:
    :eek: :D

15. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

I know a little about it, but maybe myself and others that are currently running as admins would like to know how to set up a account that has restricted privileges but has all of the content, settings of their current admin account. I dont know if OS X supports this, but can you create another admin account and then convert your current one to be a non-admin?

After realizing all of this, i made a non-admin account last night, but then all of my settings, files, etc are residing on my admin account and i have no clue how to move them over, other than piece by piece. Is there an easier way of doing this?

16. frenetic macrumors regular

M-Theory, I guess you are using your usual account at the moment, no? If you go to system preferences/accounts, what do you see underneath your username. I bet it is Admin.

Well, if you would have received the latestpics file, and double clicked it, your terminal window would have opened WITHOUT asking for your password. Just like that. No need to authenticate as admin. That's right, because you ARE the admin.

And yes, OSX is a variant of unix.

17. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

this is more a technicality than anything. but with regard to code-base it is unix-like. as for being an official unix, it is not. that would require validation and money paid to the open group. currently only the following can officially be called a unix (depending on the specification): aix, solaris, true64, hp-ux, sco unixware, ncr unix, irix, and ux/4800

neither darwin nor mac os x are officially a unix. the open group sued apple for the use of the term 'unix' back in 2004. i don't recall how it resolved though. although, maybe you're right and they did pay the fee. hmmm... apple is listed under a list of companies that support the single unix specification. i'm not entirely sure what that means though.

18. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yeah. Under OS X it's really easy to do that, just use the "Allow user to administer this computer" checkbox in the Accounts preference pane to toggle group membership.

You should follow this up by changing the owner of files in /Applications and probably also /Library away from your original username, either to the new admin account, or to root (if you change ownership through the Finder's Get Info, root will be listed as "system").

It is still possible to install software from a non-admin account, you will be prompted for an admin account's password. It's a really bad idea to do this, though, because once again you will have installed files that have inherited your UID. Make a habit of logging into the new admin account for that.

19. M-theory thread starter macrumors 6502

M-theory

from... http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/3393051

"The BSD incorporated into Mac OS X is known as Darwin. It is available as a completely separate component. Darwin itself is derived from the BSD layer of the NextStep operating system, developed by NeXT, the company set up by Steve Jobs after he left Apple in the 1980s. Technically, Mac OS X is based on the FreeBSD core, with OS X 10.3 based on FreeBSD 5.x. It is, however, extremely customized beyond the base BSD code. The key benefit with Mac OS X is the Aqua GUI that allows OS X to operate like the original Mac OS operating system but still have all the benefits and flexibility of an efficient BSD kernel."

20. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Ok, i think i understand you iMeowbot (and thanks for the help), but i guess that i am afraid if i change the owner of some of my applications that some of the authentication that my software requires to run might be broken. And i have to go through every app and my library and change each by hand? Or can i Get Info on the Applications folder, change the owner to the new Admin account, and then click "apply to enclosed items..."?

I know that running as a non-admin is the right way (well i know now) but i am just afraid that i will have problems with applications and the like. Grrr.

21. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If there are authentication thingies, those should be inside your user folder, not the shared directories. Those applications are shared by all users on the system, so they can't store user-specific stuff in them.
    Yeah, you could do that, or select all and get info.
    I haven't heard of anyone having problems with this change, and by now I would have after nagging half the world to do it :)

22. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

That's because their Macs are now unusable. ;)

23. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Thanks again iMeowbot. I will give it a try, heck, i always have my external HD with a bootable copy if anything goes wrong.

Sorry to everyone for going OT and maybe doing a bit of thread hijacking, but i think this is a fairly critical issue to this whole trojan "event". Thanks again to the Mac users that were around when the other things like this happened and are now passing along their knowledge to us that havent experienced such before.

Now, please feel free to get back OnTopic...lol:rolleyes: :p ;)

Edit: alright, i did it. Everything seems to be ok...so i guess iMeowbot is safe from my wrath...lol :p

24. M-theory thread starter macrumors 6502

M-theory

I think this is ON topic, the splitting hairs discussion about technical nuances was off topic. I think this is the purpose of MR, a community for discussion that enables people who have a question to get help from those that can answer it...I too am glad that you are much better off now. [part of the motivation for the post]

25. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

^^^Good point. With all the talk about the trojan/worm/virus/whateveryouwannacallit, i just didnt want to be adding to all of the OT, repetitive responses that are prevalent in some of the other threads.

So to continue in that vein, With my old admin account as a non-admin now, and the new Admin account with possession of both the /applications and the /library, the only difference that i should notice is when (if) i install a application i should not do it from my non-admin account, but rather do it from my Admin account, rather than just installing in in my non-admin account by using the Admin password, right?

Something like this should be a guide/sticky after this recent trojan happening.