Thank-you for smoking (movie)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by eva01, Apr 4, 2006.

1. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Who else has seen this movie?

It is probably the best american movie i have seen in years. Wasn't even a movie about anything really, just about a lobbyist.

So this shouldn't get moved to the political forum just as long as people stay on topic.

Acting was superb and the casting was outstanding for such a less known movie

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I haven't seen it yet (still recovering from the movie-watching spree before the Oscars) but my parents said it's a great movie. It's a subtle skewering of how lobbying works, right? Is it just amusing or does it get some points across too?

3. eva01 thread starter macrumors 601

eva01

It does get some points across about how a lobbyist works (somewhat) and it is very amusing.

Not many theatres are showing it, I had to go about 30 minutes north to Hingham to see it.

EDIT: much more comedy than how a lobbyist works, that may disappoint some

4. Takumi macrumors regular

Chances of it making its way to the Australian big screen

Limited:(

Chances of it making its way to the Australian Artsi screen

also Limited:(

Takumi

5. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Katie Holmes is enough for me not to see it. I really was intrigued by the plot and the story line. I spent last semester working on tobacco regulation and control and would have really enjoyed this. Can someone edit her out of the movie and send me a copy? Feel free to replace her voice with that of any of the standard Mac voices. They are more heartwarming than her acting.

6. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I plan to see it. I have been waiting to see it since I first heard mention of it. Glad to see people are liking it.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Chris Buckley was all over the media (NPR and PBS, anyway) discussing his book, which was supposed to peak my interest in the movie, and it succeeded. I got the impression that the story was less about lobbyists and more about amorality, but I'd like to hear from someone who's seen it.

8. eva01 thread starter macrumors 601

eva01

bingo, more about amorality than lobbyists, but still worth watching, i promise you that

9. lem0n macrumors regular

lem0n

I want to see it >_< the trailer looks awesome... "the MOD squad, Merchants of Death":D Think I will have to wait for the DVD though, doubt it'll come out in Italy... if it does, they'll dub it and it'll be horrid [I hate dubbing, I'd rather read subtitles] not like I understand Italian anyway TT_TT

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I haven't seen it yet but I'm getting a lit sick of bad film names and bad film posters. Thank you for Smoking? please. You've been Served? akk!
    The poster for that "countdown to launch" or whatever its called, with that horsey looking woman. I mean can't these people do good looking posters anymore?

Katie Holmes? please no. I'm all for actresses, I just want to watch good ones.

11. eva01 thread starter macrumors 601

eva01

ehhhhh you know that this was originally a book right? and it is a very very fitting name for the book and movie...

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

One thing I have heard about the movie, is that nobody is actually seen smoking in it. That's a subtle bit of humor for a movie who's main characters are tobacco industry lobbyists.

13. macpastor macrumors regular

macpastor

I have heard it is good, the trailers seem good. I wonder how this portrays the reality of being a lobbyist. I knd of feel that they are looking out for themselves all the time, somewhat like a politician.

Politician and lobbyist. Interchangeable words in my dictionary.