Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2011
I know we usually post to complain about carriers on this board or talk about how evil they are, but I had a good experience with Verizon wireless. My plan comes with 2 GB data, which I never managed to fully consume (most of the time I have Wifi), except last Sunday, I went over by (get this) 8 MB a couple of hours before my cycle ends! The app and my online account already added 1 GB for $15, I was kinda bummed obviously.

But when the actual bill came, it says I used "exactly 1.9999998 GB", and the last offending usage was dropped from 12 MB to 4 MB. I was talking to my friend and he mentioned that he too once went slightly over and the bill came empty

I don't know what the limit for forgiveness is, obviously my overage is less than 0.5%, and I don't recommend testing this, but thank you Verizon for not nickel and diming your customers!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Might not really be as much forgiveness but perhaps basically estimated vs. actual usage--estimated usage can show up at times initially and then get updated to correct actual usage sometime after that.

Reactions: ohio.emt

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2011
Might not really be as much forgiveness but perhaps basically estimated vs. actual usage--estimated usage can show up at times initially and then get updated to correct actual usage sometime after that.
It crossed my mind, but I actually downloaded usage before and after, every block of usage matched except the last block. If it was estimated vs actual, there should be minor discrepancies for the last few blocks

Also, it's 1.99998 gb, so highly likely I used exactly that

DcGamer05

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
Litchfield CT
Happened to me as well they added it on the next month as previous month data overage. They offered to credit it and they never did. Good luck my friend.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2011
Happened to me as well they added it on the next month as previous month data overage. They offered to credit it and they never did. Good luck my friend.
Oh I see, I will keep an eye, thanks for the tip!

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Hmm, maybe it's easier for them to not charge rather than deal with customers complaining for going over a small amount of MB right before the cycle ends.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2011
Hmm, maybe it's easier for them to not charge rather than deal with customers complaining for going over a small amount of MB right before the cycle ends.
True!

I just received my next statement, nope, no mention of any former month overages. My guess with an overage of less than 0.4% , like Michael above said it's probably cheaper for them not to charge for such minor things

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2011
In before "Should have stuck with the unlimited plan"
Never been on their unlimited plan, but my plan is no longer around either :-(, it is the limited time $60 single line plan, includes subsidy and 2gb Data. I don't know if they will allow me to stay on it and upgrade come October , it's just right for me

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
I know we usually post to complain about carriers on this board or talk about how evil they are, but I had a good experience with Verizon wireless. My plan comes with 2 GB data, which I never managed to fully consume (most of the time I have Wifi), except last Sunday, I went over by (get this) 8 MB a couple of hours before my cycle ends! The app and my online account already added 1 GB for $15, I was kinda bummed obviously.

But when the actual bill came, it says I used "exactly 1.9999998 GB", and the last offending usage was dropped from 12 MB to 4 MB. I was talking to my friend and he mentioned that he too once went slightly over and the bill came empty

I don't know what the limit for forgiveness is, obviously my overage is less than 0.5%, and I don't recommend testing this, but thank you Verizon for not nickel and diming your customers!
Wow. That's the opposite of how verizon treats me. My data used to be disabled at 2gb and even if I went over by just a couple mb, they would charge an extra $10.... While also turning off my data and not allowing me to even use the extra gb I paid for.

Reactions: Applejuiced

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Wow. That's the opposite of how verizon treats me. My data used to be disabled at 2gb and even if I went over by just a couple mb, they would charge an extra $10.... While also turning off my data and not allowing me to even use the extra gb I paid for.
What??! I've gone over and there was no difference in the service at all other than the extra $15 on the bill. Maybe there is a preference for this.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Wow! I hope it works out! I share 6gb with my family, and we've somehow used 96% of our data that turns over next month. I apparently have used almost half of that myself :/ This is the first time we've had this kind of usage since I first got my iPhone and went over once or twice. I'm not sure where to check my specific per app usage since I haven't resent the one on my iPhone in a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.